Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Hidrentis Suppurtivia and DA

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hidrentis Suppurtivia and DA

Post by Guest on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 10:34

Tanker73 wrote:I'm not sure if this is the correct forum or not, but I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with VAC.....aren't we all!

I was diagnosed with an uncommon skin condition called Hidradentis Suppurativa approx. 2 years ago, I won't go into details but it is a painful skin condition. I didn't have it when I joined the military, but after 23 years service was diagnosed. My question is, HS is not under any tables of disabilities in the new veterans charter, I'm not even sure it can be attributed to my service, but it is a disability to an extent. In fact, because of the weekly injections that I require, I have been placed on PCAT, and will be released in the next year or so. Anyone else have or heard of this? Any help is appreciated.

Tanker73,

Taking a quick look at the cause of Hidradenitis suppurativa, this is what I found;

Causes  

Hidradenitis suppurativa develops when hair follicles become blocked and inflamed. No one knows exactly why this blockage occurs. Factors that may play a role include hormones, metabolic syndrome, genetics, an irregular immune system response, smoking and excess weight.

Hidradentitis suppurativa is not caused by an infection and can't be transmitted sexually. It's not contagious and is not due to poor hygiene.

Risk factors

Factors that may increase your risk may include:

Age. Hidradenitis suppurativa most commonly occurs in women between the ages of 20 and 29. An early age of onset may be associated with developing more widespread disease.

Your sex. Women are more likely to develop hidradenitis suppurativa than are men.

Family history. A tendency to develop hidradenitis suppurativa can be inherited.

Having certain other conditions. Hidradenitis suppurativa can be associated with several other conditions, including arthritis, severe acne, obesity, inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn's disease, and metabolic syndrome and diabetes.

Smoking. Smoking tobacco has been linked to hidradenitis suppurativa.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hidradenitis-suppurativa/symptoms-causes/dxc-20200019

Others may be able to offer more help on this particular condition,  I would say or guess that the cause itself would not be directly related to your service given the above info, however, if you have been approved for a condition , or conditions from VAC, and that condition, or conditions is linked to your diagnose of Hidradenitis suppurativa, you could submit a consequential claim.

Just read Teens post above, and getting in to see a Dermatologist is excellent advice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 10:26

Request to see a dermatologist and get their opinion if military service caused this condition. Go over your UER to refresh your memory of all the places in the world where you were deployed. It might be a bug/infection you picked up on a deployment.

If the dermatologist determines it was one of your deployments get it in writing and submit the info with a claim.

As for the skin condition not being in the table of disabilities don't worry about it. I have an auto immune disease that isn't in the table's but the adjudicator used tuberculosis as a comparison.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3293
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Hidrentis Suppurtivia and DA

Post by Tanker73 on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 06:54

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum or not, but I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with VAC.....aren't we all!

I was diagnosed with an uncommon skin condition called Hidradentis Suppurativa approx. 2 years ago, I won't go into details but it is a painful skin condition. I didn't have it when I joined the military, but after 23 years service was diagnosed. My question is, HS is not under any tables of disabilities in the new veterans charter, I'm not even sure it can be attributed to my service, but it is a disability to an extent. In fact, because of the weekly injections that I require, I have been placed on PCAT, and will be released in the next year or so. Anyone else have or heard of this? Any help is appreciated.

Tanker73
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2017-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top