Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Post by Guest on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 12:35

Career Impact Allowance and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement

The Career Impact Allowance (CIA) is a taxable, monthly benefit—payable for life. The allowance is provided when your career options have been limited because of a service-related illness or injury.

Do I qualify?

You may qualify if you have:

• a severe and permanent impairment for which you have received a disability benefit, and

• a VAC-approved application for rehabilitation services.

How do I apply?

Your VAC case manager can assist you with your application.

If you do not have a case manager, the staff at any VAC office or Integrated Personnel Support Centre (IPSC) can assist you.

You can also fill out the application

OR

If you are registered for My VAC Account, you can apply online now. If you aren’t registered, why wait? Register today.

CIA supplement

Veterans who receive the Career Impact Allowance, and who are deemed to have diminished earning capacity, are also eligible for the career impact allowance supplement.

Severe and permanent impairment

This term is used to identify that the Veteran permanently requires supervision, is severely and permanently limited in mobility or self-care, has conditions such as an amputation or a total and permanent loss of vision or hearing or speech, or a severe and permanent psychiatric condition.

Diminished earning capacity

This term means that a Veteran is unable to earn at least 66.7% of their adjusted pre-release salary

Suitable gainful employment

Suitable gainful employment is a job or career for which you are reasonably qualified by reason of your level of education, training or experience, and that provides at least 66 2/3% of you pre-release salary.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/transition/rehabilitation/career-impact-allowance

Back to top Go down

Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Post by czerv on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 12:55

One has to be: "severe and permanent impairment for which you have received a disability benefi", but they VAC, will not do anymore TPI?
Seems to me that they will come up with some other assesment to designate someone as being with Severe and Permament Imperment.
More hoops to jump over for us.

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Post by Guest on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 13:48

I don't see a change except for the name between the Permanent Impairment Allowance and the Career Impact Allowance in terms of qualifying.

I do see a change between the PIAS and the CIAS.

You must be deemed to have diminished earning capacity, to be eligible for the career impact allowance supplement.

Diminished earning capacity:

This term means that a Veteran is unable to earn at least 66.7% of their adjusted pre-release salary.

66.7% of their adjusted pre-release salary?

What are they going to do? Have Veterans apply for work to see if they get hired, then submit the salary to VAC for determining eligibility for the CIAS?

I'd like to know the process they have in place to determine who is capable, and who is not capable of earning 66.7% of their pre released salary.

The more I see stuff like this, the more in confirms the failure of the enactment of this New Veterans Charter.

Talk about a make work project!

They say that the NVC has a lot more benefits than the old pension act, I agree, but I would argue that more does not necessarily mean better.

But hey, it's best we get use to it, that's the way going forward.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 17:05

They have the new CIA applications up in the "forms" section on MyVac
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Willie on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 20:17

If someome is currently in receipt of a PIA and PIA Supplement will they have to have to go through the application process again. Thank you.

Willie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2017-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 20:47

Willie- That would be my question also. How and when are they doing reassessments. One would think that would be written, but I don't think it is? Out,,VVZv,,,
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 05:19

The Career Impact Allowance (CIA) is a taxable, monthly benefit—payable for life. The allowance is provided when your career options have been limited because of a service-related illness or injury.

But yet,

Suspension

A Veteran who is in receipt of the CIA shall provide on request medical records, reports or any other information that is necessary to enable the Minister to assess continued eligibility for the CIA, the CIA supplement or the amount payable (i.e. Grade level).

Miracles do happen apparently and Jesus Christ still walks the earth healing people and low and behold a Minister of no power and a one or two term puppet of a bureaucratic system that can cancel or suspend it just like an insurance company.

ELB, CIA, CIA(S),VIP, Family Caregiver allowance, they all need to be concrete and in place for life, nothing else is acceptable. Suspension? or Payable for life?
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 07:58

Willie wrote:If someome is currently in receipt of a PIA and PIA Supplement will they have to have to go through the application process again. Thank you.

No, you do not have to go through the application process again.

The whole Idea is to allow for greater access for those not receiving the CIA.

Also, it's suppose to allow for a reassessment for those who are receiving the CIA, to see if they qualify for a higher level.

I heard the re assessing is suppose to start this Month, but that's just what I heard, we will see if this gets published.
Also, it would not hurt to contact your CM, or VAC to verify this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 08:08

I haven't applied for the PIA(S) nor the Family Care Giver Allowance, although I qualified for the VIP and PIA, should I?

I fall under the PA/NVC, only receiving 1/5 of 16% = 3% under the PA and the rest is under the NVC (Talk about a headache).
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 08:25

Dannypaj wrote:I haven't applied for the PIA(S) nor the Family Care Giver Allowance, although I qualified for the VIP and PIA, should I?

I fall under the PA/NVC, only receiving 1/5 of 16% = 3% under the PA and the rest is under the NVC (Talk about a headache).

If your at Grade level two or three from the CIA, I would be looking into having your level increased.

The CIAS has new assigned methods of qualifying, absolutely, I would look into applying for the CIAS.

Regarding the Family Caregiver Relief Benefit, no, you won't qualify for it because your receiving benefits from the PA.
You can however apply for the Attendance allowance under the PA.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 08:37

Thanks for the quick response Trooper.
The policy are not clear enough for people like me, maybe I am imagining it? But wow, what a maze of confusion for myself and probably others.

My injuries are all prior to the NVC and I wasn't recognized until 2011 for the one I applied for in 2003 (3% PA) and in 2016 under the NVC for the other injuries, go figure.
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 12:03

About 6 weeks ago I applied for what is now called the CIA. VAC told me a decision would take at least 12 weeks.Assuming I am approved, and at he lowest level, if I am reading the chart correctly it is about $599.00 ( taxable). It also mentions a possible "supplement" to the amount that can also be applied for and either approved or denied. I couldn`t find and numerical value to that. I read on one of the posts here that if a veteran is approved for CIA they should immediately apply for the supplement as well. My question is what is the purpose of this supplement? I don`t understand why it is even an option, if there is a need for a Vet to apply for a supplement why are not the 3 levels of CIA simply higher? i.e. if Level 3 provides a veteran $600 a month, but the vet finds he cannot get by on this and applies for a "suppliment" and is now given an additional $300 a month ( or whatever the going rate is ). Why doesn`t the GOC just make the CIA Level 3 amount $900 in the first place? Or am I just not understanding the concept?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2017-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 12:27

Seems that they changed some words on the form; still not much clearer than before.
I would like to know what are , clearly stated, prerequisites to be deemed level 3,2,1. Also for supplement. As Artie says, what's the point of these levels under the 'new CIA'? 'CIAS'?
Seems like another work project for VAC to keep them employed. I am with you on that one Artie: I just don't understand the concept. Or maybe I do: minister says that it improves the care of the veterans. Of course he must be telling the truth.

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 12:34

Artie SIMM, Well I can answer a couple of your ? I am fortunate enough to get both, level 3 CIA of course like most. The CIAS is
1,103.06, and taxed like CIA. Yes if you get CIA immediately fill the S form out and get it in. The only answer I got was the Supplement was another after thought benefit, as Most Vets are level 3, and cannot live on it. I'm sure someone smarter then my ptsd brain has the correct answer. But hope this helps. Johnny Out,,VVV...
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 12:45

Artie Simm wrote:About 6 weeks ago I applied for what is now called the CIA. VAC told me a decision would take at least 12 weeks.Assuming I am approved, and at he lowest level, if I am reading the chart correctly it is about $599.00 ( taxable). It also mentions a possible "supplement" to the amount that can also be applied for and either approved or denied. I couldn`t find and numerical value to that. I read on one of the posts here that if a veteran is approved for CIA they should immediately apply for the supplement as well. My question is what is the purpose of this supplement? I don`t understand why it is even an option, if there is a need for a Vet to apply for a supplement why are not the 3 levels of CIA simply higher? i.e. if Level 3 provides a veteran $600 a month, but the vet finds he cannot get by on this and applies for a "suppliment" and is now given an additional $300 a month ( or whatever the going rate is ). Why doesn`t the GOC just make the CIA Level 3 amount $900 in the first place? Or am I just not understanding the concept?

Artie,

First off please only post your question once, several post with the same question or context scattered over the forum not only makes it difficult to answer, or read, but it also serves no purpose. Everything that gets posted on the forum remains on the forum and can be used for future referencing, therefore it is best to keep the topic within the topic, and only post the same context once.

Regarding your question, there's three levels to the CIA, level 1, 2, and 3. 3 being the lowest and 1 being the highest.

The CIAS, is there for those who have been approved for the CIA, and are deemed to have diminished earning capacity.
Diminished earning capacity means a Veteran is unable to earn at least 66.7% of their adjusted pre-release salary.

You ask why don't they just pay one, keep only one in place or to put all the levels including the supplement in one.

This my friend is what is called The New Veterans Charter, this is how things unfold regarding our file and the benefits that are available to us. In my opinion, it is all a make work project, geared to constantly leave room for further enhancements or improvements. Don't get me wrong, if it helps disabled Veterans move up a notch in their level for the CIA, and also gives a better chance to be approved for the CIAS, no ones going to argue with that, but it remains to be seen. We must never forget the fact that everything implemented by this government for Veterans will be used to show the Country what this government has done for us. It does not matter if some or all of the implementations don't sit well with the Veteran community.

Like I said before, we better get use to seeing changes like this, colorful charts as seen from this past budget, all of this sits in favor of the government, and is the way going forward.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top