Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Page 10 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Post by Artie Simm on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 11:08

bosn181 wrote:not sure if this will help but when they looked at mine they went off my pre release salary and used the money i currently get from my military, sisip, and cpp disability pension and vac elb money and told me i currently receive 53% of my pre release salary even though i don't work so i was put at stage 2.  so i would assume the way it looked to me if you take your money your receive and see how much of your pre release salary and see where you sit on there % chart you should be able to get an idea of where or what you should be able to apply and get
I can`t even remember what I was getting paid prior to release some 20 years ago, but you mentioned they did a calculation on you but you were also NOT working, I wonder if they did the same calculation on me , come out with the same number,will they say "oh he also has a job, add that money" - sorry not entitled to anything?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2017-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Post by bosn181 on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 11:06

cia is one payment and cias is another payment that you get if your approved dec and you apply for cias and also get approved

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 11:00

Trooper wrote:
ScottyG wrote:If you have a DEC determination but do not have CIA or CIA(s) why would you not get CIA? Do you have to apply for it?

Yes, you have to apply for the CIA.

To qualify for the CIA you would need to have a severe and permanent impairment for which you have received a disability benefit, and have a VAC-approved application for rehabilitation services.

The DEC would help those who already have the CIA, move to a higher level, and also would qualify you for the CIA Supplement.
So assuming I`m approved for CIA...CIAS and DEC are two separate sources of income I can apply for or can you only receive CIAS or DEC based on the level of your imparement?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 10:58

[quote="bigrex"]You can absolutely work, as long as you meet the criteria. There are currently two types of criteria for CIA. one is strictly the level of disability, and the second is the inability to earn a percentage of deemed income (DEC, compare

"The CIA supplement is payable to a Veteran who:

a. is in receipt of CIA

b. has been determined to have “diminished earning capacity" (DEC).

d to how many possible years in the CF you lost, due to the disability."

So can someone be approved for CIA but not DEC?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 10:57

statements of earnings indicate that the Veteran may be gainfully employed; or
statements of earnings indicate that the Veteran is no longer considered “totally disabled” as defined by a third party compensation plan, such as CAF LTD (SISIP), Canada Pension Plan, or provincial or federal worker’s compensation plan.
So this "statement of earnings" you speak off, what is that does VAC request a income tax return?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 10:53

cosmo12 wrote:http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/2126
http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/forms/document/318

Hi Artie, find references above about your question. Review is done for CIAS reference your DEC (diminished earning capacity) only once after the two year mark. Usually your case manager will send you the form in reference for your doctor or psychologist/psychiatrist to filled. CIA is for life or until such time you miraculously heal. Hope this help.

Cosmo
I haven`t had a family physician since I left the military almost 2 decades ago, if I have an ailment I go to out patients. In tems of this VAC ability to work/hold a job form, could my psychiatrist fill it out, or does it have to be a DR. I can`t see me taking the form to a walk in clinic and having me devulge all my issues to a stranger, professional or not, yet my shrink knows the most about my situation
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 10:49

not sure if this will help but when they looked at mine they went off my pre release salary and used the money i currently get from my military, sisip, and cpp disability pension and vac elb money and told me i currently receive 53% of my pre release salary even though i don't work so i was put at stage 2. so i would assume the way it looked to me if you take your money your receive and see how much of your pre release salary and see where you sit on there % chart you should be able to get an idea of where or what you should be able to apply and get

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 10:37

"...The CIAS, is there for those who have been approved for the CIA, and are deemed to have diminished earning capacity.
Diminished earning capacity means a Veteran is unable to earn at least 66.7% of their adjusted pre-release salary...."
Well it`s now been 12 weeks and I`ve heard nothing yet on my CIA application. If approved I guess I will also apply for the CIAS. My question is this, I am currently working though not at 100%, you mention that VAC will approve CIAS if a vet is deemed to be unable to earn 66.7% of their pre-release salary. - so if 2 vets were to apply and both currently have jobs does VAC look at what their occupations are and say yes to one and no to another because one has a decent paying job and the other does not even though they suffer the same injury? i.e. one retired vet works as a Commissionaire the other is a Plumber, VAC looks at them both and says the Comm is only making minimum wage the Plumber is making $40 an hour, No CIAS for the plumber?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 16:46

Artie Simm wrote:This Diminished Earning Capacity? Is this the program from VAC where if you cannot be gainfully employed you receive 90% of the income you were making in the military prior to medical release? Or is that something else? My main question is - If you are deemed unemployable by VAC how long does the income they provide exist? - Until you turn 65 ( the age most people would have retired from the military) ,or until you die?

No such thing as a dumb question around here, we encourage all to ask questions.

Diminished Earnings Capacity, formally known as totally and permanently incapacitated, means that a Veteran is unable to earn at least 66.7% due to their eligible health problem(s).

Veterans who receive the Career Impact Allowance, and who are deemed to have diminished earning capacity, are also eligible for the career impact allowance supplement.

This supplement is a taxable, monthly amount, in addition to the regular Career Impact Allowance monthly amount, payable for life.

Both the CIA and the CIA Supplement are payable for life.

Payable for life means until death.

Back to top Go down

Another dumb question from me, - DEC?

Post by Artie Simm on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 16:15

This Diminished Earning Capacity? Is this the program from VAC where if you cannot be gainfully employed you receive 90% of the income you were making in the military prior to medical release? Or is that something else? My main question is - If you are deemed unemployable by VAC how long does the income they provide exist? - Until you turn 65 ( the age most people would have retired from the military) ,or until you die?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 16:05

Dannypaj wrote:I still haven't applied, I am not even sure if I qualify or if I even want to see if I qualify, it seem like another thing to wait and wait and wait for, just to receive a denial letter.
Wouldn't my CMO (Case Management officer) advise me if I should or shouldn't apply?
I want security. Not reassessments every two years.
Guarded and protected financial security without this bureaucratic BS.
Right Johnny?
Keeping us guessing and hating every moment of it.
Learn, serve & protect our own.  
I never even heard of CIA until my new CM mentioned that I should apply. She filed the paperwork 3 months ago, yes there is a long wait time,and I haven`t heard anything back. But  what`s the difference between waiting for something you may or may not get granted, and waiting that same amount of time with no light at the end of the tunnel. Your CM should apply for you, what will it hurt, yes it sucks if you are denied, but you`ll also get nothing if you never file.
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 08:23

I still haven't applied, I am not even sure if I qualify or if I even want to see if I qualify, it seem like another thing to wait and wait and wait for, just to receive a denial letter.
Wouldn't my CMO (Case Management officer) advise me if I should or shouldn't apply?
I want security. Not reassessments every two years.
Guarded and protected financial security without this bureaucratic BS.
Right Johnny?
Keeping us guessing and hating every moment of it.
Learn, serve & protect our own.
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 05:30

ScottyG wrote:If you have a DEC determination but do not have CIA or CIA(s) why would you not get CIA? Do you have to apply for it?

Yes, you have to apply for the CIA.

To qualify for the CIA you would need to have a severe and permanent impairment for which you have received a disability benefit, and have a VAC-approved application for rehabilitation services.

The DEC would help those who already have the CIA, move to a higher level, and also would qualify you for the CIA Supplement.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottyG on Fri 02 Jun 2017, 20:57

If you have a DEC determination but do not have CIA or CIA(s) why would you not get CIA? Do you have to apply for it?

ScottyG
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2017-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Wed 31 May 2017, 00:40

oh, the "gainfully employed" part threw me
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top