Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Post by Artie Simm on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 17:17

You can blame my repeat postings on a diminished mental capacity....so is there a chart for the supplement allowanace too? Or is it a flat extra $1000 on top of the Level 1,2 or 3?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2017-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Post by Bruce72 on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 17:49

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/rates

Artie

Here are VAC's current rates. Although they have yet to update the maximum DA rate.

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2014-03-13

Back to top Go down

Career Impact Allowance Assessment of Grade Level

Post by Guest on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 19:23

Career Impact Allowance Assessment of Grade Level

Grade1: Most severe level of physical, functional and/or mental impairment. To determine that Veterans have this extent of impairment, they must meet at least one of the following criteria:

a. Functionally, these Veterans:

i. require long-term hospitalizations; or

ii. are approaching the need for institutionalization or be institutionalized; or

iii. require continuous physical assistance of another person with 6 of 7 activities of daily living (ADLs) or

iv. daily supervision and are not considered safe when left alone.

OR

b. Physically, these Veterans include those who have:

i. quadriplegia; or

ii. paraplegia; or

iii. bilateral upper extremity amputation (at or above wrist); or

iv. bilateral lower extremity amputation (at or above the ankle).

OR

c. Mentally, these Veterans:

i. show obvious signs and behaviour that are influenced by delusions or hallucinations not controlled with psychiatric care and demonstrate gross impairment in communication or judgement i.e. grossly inappropriate, incoherent or mute; or

ii. require total care and supervision in the home or an institutionalized setting.

Grade 2: Lesser extent of functional, mental and/or physical impairment than those in Grade 1.

To determine that Veterans have this extent of impairment, they must meet at least one of the following criteria:

i. require the physical assistance of another person with 50% or more of the tasks associated with transferring and ambulation (Mobility); or 4 Self-care activities. or

ii. take an inordinate amount of time to complete transferring and ambulation (Mobility) or

iii. have cumulative effects of limitations in most ADLs or

iv. requires daily supervision and is considered safe when left alone for very short periods of time, such as 2 to 3 hours during the day, or 5 to 6 hours overnight.

OR

Physically, these Veterans include those who have:

- a complete and permanent loss of vision; or

- irrecoverable loss of use of an upper and lower limb; or

- a single upper or lower limb amputation at the hip or shoulder (no viable stump); or

- double limb amputations, i.e. at or above the ankle for the lower extremity and at or above the wrist for the involved upper extremity (viable stump).

OR

Mentally, these Veterans include those who:

- suffer from a psychiatric condition with persistent symptoms of extreme impairment of one’s ability to think clearly, respond emotionally, communicate effectively, understand reality and behave appropriately. There is overt evidence of the disease, chronic psychotic illness; or

- suffer from a psychiatric condition which require long periods of inpatient hospital care or a combination of inpatient hospital care and outpatient care (greater than 8 weeks, cumulative, within a 6 month period); e.g. a full time day program; or

- require recurrent hospitalization, i.e. greater than 3 times per year, without recovery.

Grade 3:  Lesser extent of functional, mental and/or physical impairment than those in Grade 2.

To determine that Veterans have this extent of impairment, they must meet at least one of the following criteria:

require the physical assistance of another person with 50% or more of the tasks associated with transferring or ambulation (Mobility); or 2 Self-Care activities

take an inordinate amount of time to complete transferring or ambulation (Mobility); or 2 Self-care activities

have an inordinate frequency in how often 2 Self-care activities are completed daily; or

have cumulative effects of limitations in most ADLs

require supervision on at least a twice per week basis for at least one hour per visit, and is considered safe when left alone for longer periods of time.

OR

b. Physically, these Veterans include those who have:

a total and permanent loss of hearing; or
a total and permanent loss of speech; or
a single upper extremity amputation at or above the elbow; or
a single lower amputation at or above the knee; or
irrecoverable loss of use of a limb.

OR

c. Mentally:

these Veterans suffer from severe and frequent symptoms of moderate to extreme impairment of one’s ability to think clearly, respond emotionally, communicate effectively, understand reality and behave appropriately causing considerable distress; or

these Veterans suffer from persistent depressive and anxiety symptoms causing persistent distress requiring chronic use (greater than 2 years) of medication and psychiatric care with no period of sustained recovery and all recreational and social activities are abandoned.

NOTE: The Career Impact Allowance introduced a new individual assessment as one of the factors that is considered as part of the assignment of grade level. This change increases access to higher CIA grade levels for some Veterans.

This new assessment looks at years left to serve (at time of release) and degree of earning capacity.

Career Impact Allowance Supplement Eligibility

The CIA supplement is payable to a Veteran who:

a. is in receipt of CIA

b. has been determined to have “diminished earning capacity" (DEC).

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/2126[/u]

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 21:34

To me, these seem to be the exact same criteria they had for PIA, which was fine since PIA was based on level of disability. But most of these have absolutely nothing to do with the ability to have a career. A perfect example of that is Jody Mitic. By these criteria, he would qualify for CIA grade one, because he has lost both legs, even though he has a successful career in politics, and has even participated in the Amazing Race Canada. I have the utmost respect for him, but I would give anything to be able to walk down the hall, or make love to my wife, without excruciating pain, let alone participate in any kind of physical activity like sports. I love Basketball, and even though I could qualify for it, I cannot even play wheelchair basketball, because my knees are so screwed up, that all it would take is one bad hit, and I will be stuck in a wheelchair permanently. I'm not able to work, because my overall level of disability is too high, yet I only qualify for grade two CIA, with the supplement.

So if, the criteria for each grade remains the same, then why even bother changing the name of it? To me, it should have had things like hours per week the Veteran is able to work, or if the types of employment are limited due to their condition. IE: someone with PTSD are limited to jobs where the level of stress is at a minimum.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3102
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmo12 on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 18:46

cosmo12
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 10:53

Bigrex

You are bang on. I'm not DEC, but my psychologist says he believes I cannot be employed 40 hours a week, he says 16 hours a week would be more appropriate because I have a volatile temper that I have little control over due to PTSD.

He's currently drawing up a letter for VAC detailing my symptoms and circumstances.

I have no problem with working, but I need to minimize my exposure to stress, because when I'm under stress I do and say reprehensible things to people.

I'm lucky my friends and family have stood by me, but ask them and they'll say that I can be a monumental prick, and that our relationships are under strain most of the time.

If I knew then what I know now, I would never have enlisted in the Army. All I ever wanted to do was eliminate as many of Canada's enemies as possible.

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 13:58

Bruce72 - bigrex - have a little story about ptsd anger, that my wife gently reminds me off. It wasn't funny at the time, but we get a laugh now. I was on my deck on the 2nd level of our house attempting to put together the 100 pieces of our new BBQ. I'm sure you know what's coming next. I was already having a bad ptsd day, and the BBQ was the tipping pt. I picked the whole BBQ, 3/4 completed, tank and all, and tossed it over the deck 15 ft up. Problem solved..lol. Let's just say I am continually working on my ptsd anger issues..
I am Dec, and lowest level, which I hope will go up, but waiting for the fo letter also..Cranky old Rad Op Out..VVV
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 15:12

I can sympathize Johnny. If it it wasn't for medical marijuana I'd be a total nut case by now. Some days are better than others, where I can function without getting angry. Other days I go off like fireworks at the slightest incident and everyone hates me.

I want nothing more than to have peace of mind. I'd give back every nickel of compensation I've received from VAC if I could just be who I was before I served.

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Slaket on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 19:58

Not I sure if I agree on how they came up with calculations..:-)
My case. 29 years in...could have gone 15 more..two promotions lost because of tcat..pcat have the merit listings to prove...
I intended to be a lifer..
Did i not miss out on advancement and lost wages as well..?
Cant work on civil street because of my medical release condition..

Is 25 years the true number they should have picked or should it have been a productive age?

Slaket

Slaket
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2015-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 21:31

Honestly, it should have less to do with your military career, than your overall work life. I was released after 15 years at the age of 34, so not only did I lose out on 10 years of a CF career, but I also lost out on an additional 21 years of secondary career opportunities, before I reach retirement age. So just because someone may be able to complete 25 years in the military, they could still be young enough to go on to have very productive careers after the CF. But if their service related disability prevents them from doing so, they should be properly compensated.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3102
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 21:39

bigrex wrote:Honestly, it should have less to do with your military career, than your overall work life. I was released after 15 years at the age of 34, so not only did I lose out on 10 years of a CF career, but I also lost out on an additional 21 years of secondary career opportunities, before I reach retirement age. So just because someone may be able to complete 25 years in the military, they could still be young enough to go on to have very productive careers after the CF. But if their service related disability prevents them from doing so, they should be properly compensated.

Excellent point of view
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 00:19

I`m sure this has probably already been answered somewhere on the site, but if a veteran is approved for CIA, and wants to apply for the "supplement", what does that entail. Is there a form that can be viewed on the VAC site, I mean wouldn`t a doctor have already submitted the necessary information that enabled the veteran to receive the CIA, what else could be added to obtain the supplement? i.e. if the form to get CIA said " patient has metal shrapnel shards embedded in arm, back, neck is in constant pain". What`s the criteria to obtain the supplement just submitting this information all over again?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2017-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 06:00

What nonsense & added stress on my family.

This letter has done nothing more but cause us more

Mental duress and I am sure probably many other veterans and their families as well.

Yet again smoke in mirrors and window dressing.

Thanks VAC!

1. Who accessed my Vac MEDICAL file without my permission for a grade level increase without my permission?
2.  Pretty mysterious that they can process so many files at once but back log the ones that vac pleases?

B. says "Don't think of it like that. I'm already at the second highest grade for pia. They can't give me less. So why stress over it. If they give me more money for it then fine. All back is doing right now is trying to save face and mend their trust with vets. They should have brought back the pensions like they said they were going to do but as of right now I'm getting by. We just have to hurry up and wait and try not to stress".

and also adds

B. "The letter they sent was them giving you notice that they will be reassessing your grade. It also says over the next few months. The reason they have to do this is because pia has been renamed and has new criteria which vets may qualify for a higher level/payment. It's not a bad thing. Let's face it vac has our medical info and use it to hopefully benefit us.
Getting mad over them accessing your info would be like getting mad at a doctor who looks at your info at a later date and sees something he missed and identifys a life saving condition".

Veteran Centric approach or what?

Last edited by Dannypaj on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 06:49; edited 1 time in total
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 06:15

Artie Simm wrote:I`m sure this has probably already been answered somewhere on the site, but if a veteran is approved for CIA, and wants to apply for the "supplement", what does that entail. Is there a form that can be viewed on the VAC site, I mean wouldn`t a doctor have already submitted the necessary information that enabled the veteran to receive  the CIA, what else could be added to obtain the supplement? i.e. if the form to get CIA said " patient has metal shrapnel shards embedded in arm, back, neck is in constant pain". What`s the criteria to obtain the supplement just submitting this information all over again?

To qualify for the supplement you need to be deemed to have diminished earning capacity by VAC.

What is Diminished earning capacity:

This term means that a Veteran is unable to earn at least 66.7% of their adjusted pre-release salary

How do I apply?

Your VAC case manager can assist you with your application.

If you do not have a case manager, the staff at any VAC office or Integrated Personnel Support Centre (IPSC) can assist you.

You can also fill out the application and mail it to us. http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/forms/document/485

OR

If you are registered for My VAC Account, you can apply online now.  

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/transition/rehabilitation/career-impact-allowance

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 06:58

Where  does it say I am mad in the above statement?
Assumption is the cause of all major F-ups

I am just asking pointed questions.

We need a media relations person with one clear message representing all veterans.
"A well versed person, who can ask the questions and give the right responses, that  reflect our best interest".
This would greatly influence the population of Canada, although they "GoC" seem to silence our criticism every step of the way of a broken system. 
I lived it and living it, so are you
What level is your G.A.F.F Question
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top