Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Post by Bruce72 on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 15:12

I can sympathize Johnny. If it it wasn't for medical marijuana I'd be a total nut case by now. Some days are better than others, where I can function without getting angry. Other days I go off like fireworks at the slightest incident and everyone hates me.

I want nothing more than to have peace of mind. I'd give back every nickel of compensation I've received from VAC if I could just be who I was before I served.

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2014-03-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Post by johnny211 on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 13:58

Bruce72 - bigrex - have a little story about ptsd anger, that my wife gently reminds me off. It wasn't funny at the time, but we get a laugh now. I was on my deck on the 2nd level of our house attempting to put together the 100 pieces of our new BBQ. I'm sure you know what's coming next. I was already having a bad ptsd day, and the BBQ was the tipping pt. I picked the whole BBQ, 3/4 completed, tank and all, and tossed it over the deck 15 ft up. Problem solved..lol. Let's just say I am continually working on my ptsd anger issues..
I am Dec, and lowest level, which I hope will go up, but waiting for the fo letter also..Cranky old Rad Op Out..VVV
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 577
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 10:53

Bigrex

You are bang on. I'm not DEC, but my psychologist says he believes I cannot be employed 40 hours a week, he says 16 hours a week would be more appropriate because I have a volatile temper that I have little control over due to PTSD.

He's currently drawing up a letter for VAC detailing my symptoms and circumstances.

I have no problem with working, but I need to minimize my exposure to stress, because when I'm under stress I do and say reprehensible things to people.

I'm lucky my friends and family have stood by me, but ask them and they'll say that I can be a monumental prick, and that our relationships are under strain most of the time.

If I knew then what I know now, I would never have enlisted in the Army. All I ever wanted to do was eliminate as many of Canada's enemies as possible.

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmo12 on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 18:46

cosmo12
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 21:34

To me, these seem to be the exact same criteria they had for PIA, which was fine since PIA was based on level of disability. But most of these have absolutely nothing to do with the ability to have a career. A perfect example of that is Jody Mitic. By these criteria, he would qualify for CIA grade one, because he has lost both legs, even though he has a successful career in politics, and has even participated in the Amazing Race Canada. I have the utmost respect for him, but I would give anything to be able to walk down the hall, or make love to my wife, without excruciating pain, let alone participate in any kind of physical activity like sports. I love Basketball, and even though I could qualify for it, I cannot even play wheelchair basketball, because my knees are so screwed up, that all it would take is one bad hit, and I will be stuck in a wheelchair permanently. I'm not able to work, because my overall level of disability is too high, yet I only qualify for grade two CIA, with the supplement.

So if, the criteria for each grade remains the same, then why even bother changing the name of it? To me, it should have had things like hours per week the Veteran is able to work, or if the types of employment are limited due to their condition. IE: someone with PTSD are limited to jobs where the level of stress is at a minimum.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3116
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Career Impact Allowance Assessment of Grade Level

Post by Guest on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 19:23

Career Impact Allowance Assessment of Grade Level

Grade1: Most severe level of physical, functional and/or mental impairment. To determine that Veterans have this extent of impairment, they must meet at least one of the following criteria:

a. Functionally, these Veterans:

i. require long-term hospitalizations; or

ii. are approaching the need for institutionalization or be institutionalized; or

iii. require continuous physical assistance of another person with 6 of 7 activities of daily living (ADLs) or

iv. daily supervision and are not considered safe when left alone.

OR

b. Physically, these Veterans include those who have:

i. quadriplegia; or

ii. paraplegia; or

iii. bilateral upper extremity amputation (at or above wrist); or

iv. bilateral lower extremity amputation (at or above the ankle).

OR

c. Mentally, these Veterans:

i. show obvious signs and behaviour that are influenced by delusions or hallucinations not controlled with psychiatric care and demonstrate gross impairment in communication or judgement i.e. grossly inappropriate, incoherent or mute; or

ii. require total care and supervision in the home or an institutionalized setting.

Grade 2: Lesser extent of functional, mental and/or physical impairment than those in Grade 1.

To determine that Veterans have this extent of impairment, they must meet at least one of the following criteria:

i. require the physical assistance of another person with 50% or more of the tasks associated with transferring and ambulation (Mobility); or 4 Self-care activities. or

ii. take an inordinate amount of time to complete transferring and ambulation (Mobility) or

iii. have cumulative effects of limitations in most ADLs or

iv. requires daily supervision and is considered safe when left alone for very short periods of time, such as 2 to 3 hours during the day, or 5 to 6 hours overnight.

OR

Physically, these Veterans include those who have:

- a complete and permanent loss of vision; or

- irrecoverable loss of use of an upper and lower limb; or

- a single upper or lower limb amputation at the hip or shoulder (no viable stump); or

- double limb amputations, i.e. at or above the ankle for the lower extremity and at or above the wrist for the involved upper extremity (viable stump).

OR

Mentally, these Veterans include those who:

- suffer from a psychiatric condition with persistent symptoms of extreme impairment of one’s ability to think clearly, respond emotionally, communicate effectively, understand reality and behave appropriately. There is overt evidence of the disease, chronic psychotic illness; or

- suffer from a psychiatric condition which require long periods of inpatient hospital care or a combination of inpatient hospital care and outpatient care (greater than 8 weeks, cumulative, within a 6 month period); e.g. a full time day program; or

- require recurrent hospitalization, i.e. greater than 3 times per year, without recovery.

Grade 3:  Lesser extent of functional, mental and/or physical impairment than those in Grade 2.

To determine that Veterans have this extent of impairment, they must meet at least one of the following criteria:

require the physical assistance of another person with 50% or more of the tasks associated with transferring or ambulation (Mobility); or 2 Self-Care activities

take an inordinate amount of time to complete transferring or ambulation (Mobility); or 2 Self-care activities

have an inordinate frequency in how often 2 Self-care activities are completed daily; or

have cumulative effects of limitations in most ADLs

require supervision on at least a twice per week basis for at least one hour per visit, and is considered safe when left alone for longer periods of time.

OR

b. Physically, these Veterans include those who have:

a total and permanent loss of hearing; or
a total and permanent loss of speech; or
a single upper extremity amputation at or above the elbow; or
a single lower amputation at or above the knee; or
irrecoverable loss of use of a limb.

OR

c. Mentally:

these Veterans suffer from severe and frequent symptoms of moderate to extreme impairment of one’s ability to think clearly, respond emotionally, communicate effectively, understand reality and behave appropriately causing considerable distress; or

these Veterans suffer from persistent depressive and anxiety symptoms causing persistent distress requiring chronic use (greater than 2 years) of medication and psychiatric care with no period of sustained recovery and all recreational and social activities are abandoned.

NOTE: The Career Impact Allowance introduced a new individual assessment as one of the factors that is considered as part of the assignment of grade level. This change increases access to higher CIA grade levels for some Veterans.

This new assessment looks at years left to serve (at time of release) and degree of earning capacity.

Career Impact Allowance Supplement Eligibility

The CIA supplement is payable to a Veteran who:

a. is in receipt of CIA

b. has been determined to have “diminished earning capacity" (DEC).

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/2126[/u]

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 17:49

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/rates

Artie

Here are VAC's current rates. Although they have yet to update the maximum DA rate.

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 17:17

You can blame my repeat postings on a diminished mental capacity....so is there a chart for the supplement allowanace too? Or is it a flat extra $1000 on top of the Level 1,2 or 3?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2017-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 12:45

Artie Simm wrote:About 6 weeks ago I applied for what is now called the CIA. VAC told me a decision would take at least 12 weeks.Assuming I am approved, and at he lowest level, if I am reading the chart correctly it is about $599.00 ( taxable). It also mentions a possible "supplement" to the amount that can also be applied for and either approved or denied. I couldn`t find and numerical value to that. I read on one of the posts here that if a veteran is approved for CIA they should immediately apply for the supplement as well. My question is what is the purpose of this supplement? I don`t understand why it is even an option, if there is a need for a Vet to apply for a supplement why are not the 3 levels of CIA simply higher? i.e. if Level 3 provides a veteran $600 a month, but the vet finds he cannot get by on this and applies for a "suppliment" and is now given an additional $300 a month ( or whatever the going rate is ). Why doesn`t the GOC just make the CIA Level 3 amount $900 in the first place? Or am I just not understanding the concept?

Artie,

First off please only post your question once, several post with the same question or context scattered over the forum not only makes it difficult to answer, or read, but it also serves no purpose. Everything that gets posted on the forum remains on the forum and can be used for future referencing, therefore it is best to keep the topic within the topic, and only post the same context once.

Regarding your question, there's three levels to the CIA, level 1, 2, and 3. 3 being the lowest and 1 being the highest.

The CIAS, is there for those who have been approved for the CIA, and are deemed to have diminished earning capacity.
Diminished earning capacity means a Veteran is unable to earn at least 66.7% of their adjusted pre-release salary.

You ask why don't they just pay one, keep only one in place or to put all the levels including the supplement in one.

This my friend is what is called The New Veterans Charter, this is how things unfold regarding our file and the benefits that are available to us. In my opinion, it is all a make work project, geared to constantly leave room for further enhancements or improvements. Don't get me wrong, if it helps disabled Veterans move up a notch in their level for the CIA, and also gives a better chance to be approved for the CIAS, no ones going to argue with that, but it remains to be seen. We must never forget the fact that everything implemented by this government for Veterans will be used to show the Country what this government has done for us. It does not matter if some or all of the implementations don't sit well with the Veteran community.

Like I said before, we better get use to seeing changes like this, colorful charts as seen from this past budget, all of this sits in favor of the government, and is the way going forward.

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 12:34

Artie SIMM, Well I can answer a couple of your ? I am fortunate enough to get both, level 3 CIA of course like most. The CIAS is
1,103.06, and taxed like CIA. Yes if you get CIA immediately fill the S form out and get it in. The only answer I got was the Supplement was another after thought benefit, as Most Vets are level 3, and cannot live on it. I'm sure someone smarter then my ptsd brain has the correct answer. But hope this helps. Johnny Out,,VVV...
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 577
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 12:27

Seems that they changed some words on the form; still not much clearer than before.
I would like to know what are , clearly stated, prerequisites to be deemed level 3,2,1. Also for supplement. As Artie says, what's the point of these levels under the 'new CIA'? 'CIAS'?
Seems like another work project for VAC to keep them employed. I am with you on that one Artie: I just don't understand the concept. Or maybe I do: minister says that it improves the care of the veterans. Of course he must be telling the truth.

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 12:03

About 6 weeks ago I applied for what is now called the CIA. VAC told me a decision would take at least 12 weeks.Assuming I am approved, and at he lowest level, if I am reading the chart correctly it is about $599.00 ( taxable). It also mentions a possible "supplement" to the amount that can also be applied for and either approved or denied. I couldn`t find and numerical value to that. I read on one of the posts here that if a veteran is approved for CIA they should immediately apply for the supplement as well. My question is what is the purpose of this supplement? I don`t understand why it is even an option, if there is a need for a Vet to apply for a supplement why are not the 3 levels of CIA simply higher? i.e. if Level 3 provides a veteran $600 a month, but the vet finds he cannot get by on this and applies for a "suppliment" and is now given an additional $300 a month ( or whatever the going rate is ). Why doesn`t the GOC just make the CIA Level 3 amount $900 in the first place? Or am I just not understanding the concept?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2017-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 08:37

Thanks for the quick response Trooper.
The policy are not clear enough for people like me, maybe I am imagining it? But wow, what a maze of confusion for myself and probably others.

My injuries are all prior to the NVC and I wasn't recognized until 2011 for the one I applied for in 2003 (3% PA) and in 2016 under the NVC for the other injuries, go figure.
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1127
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 08:25

Dannypaj wrote:I haven't applied for the PIA(S) nor the Family Care Giver Allowance, although I qualified for the VIP and PIA, should I?

I fall under the PA/NVC, only receiving 1/5 of 16% = 3% under the PA and the rest is under the NVC (Talk about a headache).

If your at Grade level two or three from the CIA, I would be looking into having your level increased.

The CIAS has new assigned methods of qualifying, absolutely, I would look into applying for the CIAS.

Regarding the Family Caregiver Relief Benefit, no, you won't qualify for it because your receiving benefits from the PA.
You can however apply for the Attendance allowance under the PA.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 08:08

I haven't applied for the PIA(S) nor the Family Care Giver Allowance, although I qualified for the VIP and PIA, should I?

I fall under the PA/NVC, only receiving 1/5 of 16% = 3% under the PA and the rest is under the NVC (Talk about a headache).
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1127
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top