Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cia

Post by Cctchevy18 on Wed 03 May 2017, 12:04

Just got an update today from vac, they are now processing new CIA applications from may 2016, which makes no sense cause I had one denied in October, now I have more approved diasibility awards that make CIA applicable to me,
But how does the standard start date for applications go backwards 8 months
These dates as much as vac normal stuff makes no sense.

Cctchevy18
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-05-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Post by Dannypaj on Tue 09 May 2017, 05:35

Dannypaj wrote:I haven't applied for the PIA(S) nor the Family Care Giver Allowance, although I qualified for the VIP and PIA, should I?

I fall under the PA/NVC, only receiving 1/5 of 16% = 3% under the PA and the rest is under the NVC (Talk about a headache).

Still haven't applied for these benefits.
Mental health is a S.O.B and VAC doesn't make it any easier.
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Post by Artie Simm on Mon 29 May 2017, 00:56

So VAC sent me a notice that they were reviewing my initial PTSD claim from a decade earlier. They sent a form to my Psychologist and I sat down with him and answered all the questions, he will then return it to them.
My question is this. I understand that if approved for CIA (which is a separate claim). You have to be reassessed every 2 years. Does anyone know what this reassessment looks like? Is there an on line form similar to the one I had to fill out for my PTSD? Or does it take the shape of a letter from the psychologist stating " met with patient, no improvement in their situation, mentally or physically"?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2017-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmo12 on Mon 29 May 2017, 10:48

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/2126
http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/forms/document/318

Hi Artie, find references above about your question. Review is done for CIAS reference your DEC (diminished earning capacity) only once after the two year mark. Usually your case manager will send you the form in reference for your doctor or psychologist/psychiatrist to filled. CIA is for life or until such time you miraculously heal. Hope this help.

Cosmo

cosmo12
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Armygunner on Mon 29 May 2017, 13:48

I'm going through the CIAS review atm. It's form 671 Medical Questionnaire: Employment Capacity. I talked to VAC and every 2 years those of us receiving CIAS will have to fill the questionnaire out and submit for further CIAS or not.

Armygunner
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2016-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmo12 on Mon 29 May 2017, 18:41

Only once after 2,years and confirmed by VAC.

COSMO

In all cases, two years following the date the Veteran is determined to have met the criteria for DEC, the Veteran must be re-assessed to determine if he or she is still meets the criteria for DEC. A Veteran may have his or her EL or CIA benefits cancelled if he or she fails to comply with any request for reassessment, as indicated in paragraph 36.
A follow-up examination of a Veteran’s DEC status may be conducted at any other time, and should occur in any of the following circumstances:
the Veteran shows potential for improvement;
the Veteran requests a re-assessment and/or is interested in re-engaging in the Rehabilitation Program;
statements of earnings indicate that the Veteran may be gainfully employed; or
statements of earnings indicate that the Veteran is no longer considered “totally disabled” as defined by a third party compensation plan, such as CAF LTD (SISIP), Canada Pension Plan, or provincial or federal worker’s compensation plan.
If an examination or assessment is determined to be appropriate, the decision maker should consider the evidence and factors as required for any DEC determination as set out in paragraphs 13 to 20 above. If the Veteran is determined to have the capacity for suitable gainful employment, the DEC status should be terminated effective the date of the decision.
References
Canadian Forces Members and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Act, sections 11 and 20, subsections 18(4) and 38(3)

cosmo12
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Tue 30 May 2017, 00:09

So can you not get CIA and still hold down a job? I am working at the moment.
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Tue 30 May 2017, 15:00

You can absolutely work, as long as you meet the criteria. There are currently two types of criteria for CIA. one is strictly the level of disability, and the second is the inability to earn a percentage of deemed income (DEC, compared to how many possible years in the CF you lost, due to the disability.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3102
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Wed 31 May 2017, 00:40

oh, the "gainfully employed" part threw me
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottyG on Fri 02 Jun 2017, 20:57

If you have a DEC determination but do not have CIA or CIA(s) why would you not get CIA? Do you have to apply for it?

ScottyG
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2017-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 05:30

ScottyG wrote:If you have a DEC determination but do not have CIA or CIA(s) why would you not get CIA? Do you have to apply for it?

Yes, you have to apply for the CIA.

To qualify for the CIA you would need to have a severe and permanent impairment for which you have received a disability benefit, and have a VAC-approved application for rehabilitation services.

The DEC would help those who already have the CIA, move to a higher level, and also would qualify you for the CIA Supplement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 08:23

I still haven't applied, I am not even sure if I qualify or if I even want to see if I qualify, it seem like another thing to wait and wait and wait for, just to receive a denial letter.
Wouldn't my CMO (Case Management officer) advise me if I should or shouldn't apply?
I want security. Not reassessments every two years.
Guarded and protected financial security without this bureaucratic BS.
Right Johnny?
Keeping us guessing and hating every moment of it.
Learn, serve & protect our own.
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 16:05

Dannypaj wrote:I still haven't applied, I am not even sure if I qualify or if I even want to see if I qualify, it seem like another thing to wait and wait and wait for, just to receive a denial letter.
Wouldn't my CMO (Case Management officer) advise me if I should or shouldn't apply?
I want security. Not reassessments every two years.
Guarded and protected financial security without this bureaucratic BS.
Right Johnny?
Keeping us guessing and hating every moment of it.
Learn, serve & protect our own.  
I never even heard of CIA until my new CM mentioned that I should apply. She filed the paperwork 3 months ago, yes there is a long wait time,and I haven`t heard anything back. But  what`s the difference between waiting for something you may or may not get granted, and waiting that same amount of time with no light at the end of the tunnel. Your CM should apply for you, what will it hurt, yes it sucks if you are denied, but you`ll also get nothing if you never file.
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Another dumb question from me, - DEC?

Post by Artie Simm on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 16:15

This Diminished Earning Capacity? Is this the program from VAC where if you cannot be gainfully employed you receive 90% of the income you were making in the military prior to medical release? Or is that something else? My main question is - If you are deemed unemployable by VAC how long does the income they provide exist? - Until you turn 65 ( the age most people would have retired from the military) ,or until you die?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 16:46

Artie Simm wrote:This Diminished Earning Capacity? Is this the program from VAC where if you cannot be gainfully employed you receive 90% of the income you were making in the military prior to medical release? Or is that something else? My main question is - If you are deemed unemployable by VAC how long does the income they provide exist? - Until you turn 65 ( the age most people would have retired from the military) ,or until you die?

No such thing as a dumb question around here, we encourage all to ask questions.

Diminished Earnings Capacity, formally known as totally and permanently incapacitated, means that a Veteran is unable to earn at least 66.7% due to their eligible health problem(s).

Veterans who receive the Career Impact Allowance, and who are deemed to have diminished earning capacity, are also eligible for the career impact allowance supplement.

This supplement is a taxable, monthly amount, in addition to the regular Career Impact Allowance monthly amount, payable for life.

Both the CIA and the CIA Supplement are payable for life.

Payable for life means until death.

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top