Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Page 6 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Post by By the Bay on Wed 02 Aug 2017, 16:17

Is this a mythical scenario? I would love it if it were a true story! Could you imagine if there were veterans that actually received the maximum amount for all eligible benefits...it would even be a more fabulous scenario if those veterans received the all the benefits on their first application! I think it's just a pipe dream! Sad
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Post by bigrex on Wed 02 Aug 2017, 12:49

Yes, other than the $5000/mo PA pension, it could absolutely happen, if the person qualifies for a higher grade of CIA. The maximum PA pension for a Married Veteran with 3 children is $4236.

So a totally disabled PA veteran could possibly get the following amounts every month, but it would be extremely unlikely that they would get the maximum for each benefit

$4236 PA pension
$1808 AA
= $6044 tax free, plus
$1799 CIA
$1104 CIAS
and a minimum $3700 ELB
= $6602 before taxes.

Plus most other possible medical need, as well as VIP.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3115
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Hell of way to make the same as a BGeneral !

Post by ScottyG on Wed 02 Aug 2017, 10:36

So all this could happen? Trooper and Big Rex?
$5000 per month tax free ( if it was taxed it would have to be  $6500min )
$1808 per month Attendance Allowance
$600 per month CIA
$1199 per month CIA S
$_____ per month 90% of release pay (min 3808 per month ....44496 per yr)

If the ELB is at min level it works out to a Total of $13815.00 per month or $165780 per year

This Veteran  income would be the same  as a BGen or a retired LtGen !

He or she could get $40-80000 for education if not the spouse is entitled  
They will motify a truck to drive if required
They will pay for a scooter
They will motify a home too
If you have B level coverage all medical care is paid for too.

I want to talk to this person. I wonder if he exists !

ScottyG
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2017-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Tue 01 Aug 2017, 22:19

Yes, if he is at 100%, he can get pretty close to that amount, or more if getting Attendance Allowance. And he can still apply for ELB, CIA and CIAS.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 01 Aug 2017, 17:14

Dannypaj wrote:He or she is married, with three dependants and is under the old Pension Act.
Not sure if he rounded it up to $5,000, or with the added allowances it brings it up to this figure, which he clearly stated to me.
I didn't want to pry more, but that is what he said.
Unbelievable.
My father an ex Airborne Sgt-major (31 years) retired and making less, go figure.
PS
Your only military when it serves the military's purpose, besides that your on their criteria if your on duty/ or off duty BS.

100% correct Danny,

Here's a link to prove it: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/pdf/services/disability-pension/Disability-Pension-Rates-2017.pdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Tue 01 Aug 2017, 12:55

He or she is married, with three dependants and is under the old Pension Act.
Not sure if he rounded it up to $5,000, or with the added allowances it brings it up to this figure, which he clearly stated to me.
I didn't want to pry more, but that is what he said.
Unbelievable.
My father an ex Airborne Sgt-major (31 years) retired and making less, go figure.
PS
Your only military when it serves the military's purpose, besides that your on their criteria if your on duty/ or off duty BS.
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1125
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottyG on Tue 01 Aug 2017, 12:09

How did he or she get $5000 I assume, per month from Pension Act tax free for life? It doesnt add up.

ScottyG
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2017-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Tue 01 Aug 2017, 06:48

Comparison:
VETERAN #1 Released just before me and is on the Pensions Act (he attempted suicide while serving). He survived, was medically released and is now receiving over $5,000 tax free dollars the rest  of his life without the BS of ELB, CIA, CIA(s) and whatever else they can throw at you to make it feel as though you're being well looked after.
VETERAN #2 Same release, but under the NVC. Veteran has to apply for ELB, CIA, CIA(s) and which is a long drawn out process that  can take many years (I know). So,if we are all equal and the NVC is much more superior then the PA...well you all better shake your heads bureaucrats.

Which vet has less worries Veteran #1 under the PA, or VETERAN #2 under the NVC?
Rocket science at it's finest.

PS TRUE STOREY

Last edited by Dannypaj on Tue 01 Aug 2017, 06:50; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : TRUE STOREY)
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1125
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 22 Jul 2017, 06:11

bog6 wrote:
DEC finally completed, have had EIA for a couple years and now since DEC has finally been approved, CM is trying to get the CIA and supplement instead.

has anyone been in this ship before.

bog

I never heard of anyone having their EIA switched to CIA, in fact I was told it could not be done.

So I would appreciate if you can keep us up to date on your quest to have this changed.

Back to top Go down

Post by bog6 on Fri 21 Jul 2017, 20:57

DEC finally completed, have had EIA for a couple years and now since DEC has finally been approved, CM is trying to get the CIA and supplement instead.

has anyone been in this ship before.

bog

bog6
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2017-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 on Fri 21 Jul 2017, 11:44

as always very well said trooper when i first moved to pei my cm meet me at my home for a visit and kept insisting i go to rehab so i made a deal with her if she approved house cleaning on my vip which they gave me years ago and took away then i would go to rehab which she agreed to

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 21 Jul 2017, 06:11

Personally I have no problem with any rehab program in terms of the program itself, what I do have a problem with is using the rehab program as a prerequisite for obtaining other disability benefits.

No disabled Veteran should be forced into any rehab program for any reason or reasons, the rehab program should always be available for those who wish to participate in it on a voluntary basis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo on Fri 21 Jul 2017, 01:38

I agree Bigrex. Many vets don't realize the rehab does not have the sole purpose of returning the vet to a job. But most will still not qualify even if permanently disabled and get CPP(D) and or Sisip because they don't meet the following

' the Veteran permanently requires supervision, is severely and permanently limited in mobility or self-care, has conditions such as an amputation or a total and permanent loss of vision or hearing or speech, or a severe and permanent psychiatric condition.'

The CIA is for a select few and has nothing to do with career impact for the vast majority.
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 312
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 21:42

the problem is, many Veterans believe that the rehab program, is identical to that of SISIP, and that the only objective is to get the Veteran back into the workforce. This is not true, and VAC has done a piss poor job at getting that information out into the veterans community. The rehab program could be used to approve psychological treatment, massage therapy, service animals, or even schooling for the veteran's spouse, if the Veteran is too disable to work. I've been on the rehab program for several years, and when my wife decided to be retrained, they paid for her to take a 2 year social work program. they then agreed to pay for two follow-up courses to learn Sign Language, simply because it will make her resume stand out once she starts the job search.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 16:41

If I understand the process. The thing about the CIA is you only qualify if you have an approved Rehab plan developed or completed with VAC. And have been found to have a severe and permanent disability.

I have a friend who has a disability award from 2011 at 70% and receives SISIP LTD. But has not opted for a Rehab plan with VAC. So he is disqualified from CIA/S.

I believe it is a deliberate move by the Feds to deny veterans benefits, unless you follow their cookie cutter system of connect the dots to recovery or the best version of you therein.

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2014-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top