Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Page 7 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Go down

Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Post by Guest on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 04:46

Scotty,

I'm thinking with the CIAS, it may just be a case where your deemed DEC was not seen or missed when your application was submitted.

You can now apply for the CIAS through my account, however, in your particular case where you already applied for and was denied, it's best to contact VAC and tell them your situation that you have been deemed DEC and are receiving the CIA. They may be able to speed things up for you, and they can advise you on whether you need to appeal or not.

Regarding payable date, I would think they would back date your CIAS to the date from which you first applied if you were deemed DEC at the time of that application, if not deemed DEC at the time of application, they will only go back to when you have been deemed DEC.

CIA Date Payable

The CIA and an increase in the grade level due to a reassessment, begins to be payable on the later of:

a. the day on which the application for the allowance was made (see the Application section of this policy); and

b. the day that is one year prior to the day on which the application for the allowance is approved, i.e. one year prior to the decision date; and

c. the day after the day of the member’s release from the CAF.

The effective date cannot pre-date the later of the decisions by which the Veteran has an application for rehabilitation services approved and has been granted a disability benefit for the health problem(s) that are causing the permanent and severe impairment.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/2126#anchor57640

CIAS Date Payable

The CIA supplement begins to be payable the later of:

a. the day on which the application for the supplement was made (see the Application section of this policy);

b. the day that is one year prior to the day on which the application for the supplement is approved, i.e. one year prior to the decision date.

c. the day after the day of the member's release from the CAF.

The effective date cannot pre-date the decision by which the Veteran is determined to have a DEC.

The effective date cannot predate October 3, 2011 (i.e. the implementation date of the Enhanced New Veterans Charter Act.)

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/2126#anchor57649

Back to top Go down

Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Post by Guest on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 18:28

Vet 1234 How long did you wait for an answer to your appeal? Did you involve the BPA in doig so?

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 18:03

appeal the date citing a lack of clarity on documents needed to make a decision and poor case management oversight.
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 571
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 18:01

I have an appeal in for my PIA as well. An application that is not complete (insufficient or non complete) should not reach adjudication. there is no checklist for a CIA application and the ombudsmen agrees that an application that reaches adjudication and is incomplete is the result of a lack of due diligence on the part of a CM.
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 17:02

I never received my  letter of explaination. I will review it when it arrives, had to request a dupilate copy.  My original application was rejected based on no current med, so I appealed  and submitted a current med and was approved for CIA not CIA s.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 16:52

they should date it back
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 16:48

I am curious about when you appeal CIA &/or CIA s and you win the appeal what date do they use for back payment?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 16:41

Vet 1234
I was deemed DEC many months ago May 2017 . do they back date if its an appeal and you win?

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 16:35

that happened to me. I applied for both at the same time. at the time of my CIA application I hadn't been deemed TPI yet. The decision letter said no CIAS because I wasn't TPI. I re-applied online and called VAC. I was approved the supplement with in a week.
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 15:56

Totally confused will contact them next week. Maybe there is some lag time when you file for CIA and CIAs at the same time. Once you get CIA and have DEC it should be automatic. Has anyone else applied for both on the same date and received delays in the awarding both benefits at the same time?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 04:27

ScottyG wrote:Question I got approved for CIA but not CIA S i have the DEC approved why wouldnt i get CIAs ?

Has anyone else had this happen ?

Why wouldn't you get CIAS?

If I was approved for the CIA and was deemed DEC, but was denied CIAS, I would contact VAC to ask them why I was denied the CIAS, and I would reference the following to them:

CIA supplement

Veterans who receive the Career Impact Allowance, and who are deemed to have diminished earning capacity, are also eligible for the career impact allowance supplement.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/transition/rehabilitation/career-impact-allowance

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 21:20

Question I got approved for CIA but not CIA S i have the DEC approved why wouldnt i get CIAs ?

Has anyone else had this happen ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 09 Aug 2017, 17:59

answer found

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 10:15

Well according to VAC website, a CIA application should only take 16 weeks, like disability awards, but that clock only starts when they have all the necessary documentation. And last year, they were only able to meet that standard 52% of the times.

VAC service standards
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3324
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 08:27

Has anyone who applied in March or April receive their decision letter yet for CIA? I called VAC this morning to find out the current Service Standard timeline on completing CIA applications. The VAC lady said that they are only a few weeks behind in completing CIA application and that most applications were being completed in the 12 to 16 weeks timeframe! My husband called an hour later to inquire about a different matter and he also asked about CIA Service Standard timeline. VAC person said 18 to 24 weeks waiting times! So which is it? 12 to 16 weeks or 18 to 24 weeks! scratch
Cheers,
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2013-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next