Trudeau Is Ready To Break A 100-Year Promise To Veterans

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Trooper on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 13:33

Bruce Moncur Former Soldier, PSW, B.A. History, Windsorite

Posted: 04/07/2017 11:23 am EDT

April 6 is the hundredth anniversary of Prime Minister Borden's speech to the soldiers about to take part in the Battle of Vimy Ridge. He promised those men that there was a moral obligation to them if they were to return home injured. Since then the Liberal and Conservative governments have argued against those words.

With the recent budget, I will be entering my 11th year without a life long disability pension, 9 years under the Conservatives and now two with the Liberals. The Trudeau government campaigned on the reestablishment of these pensions. Three times they made public overtures to that effect that in fact if and when they formed government they will re-establish the life long pensions that they took away in 2006 to begin with.

As hundreds of Canadians flock to the Vimy Memorial to commemorate the sacrifice of so many great Canadians, they will also be fighting the surviving veterans of later conflicts in court. Talking to Prince Harry about the upcoming Invictus games while using tax payer dollars in court arguing the legal definition of moral obligation.

That is why at the next stakeholder summit I am calling for a vote of confidence in Minister Hehr. The vote will be conducted the first evening of the summit, by an anonymous vote. All stakeholders voting must be also a veteran and there will be one person arguing in favour of voting in favour of the minister and another arguing against.

If the minister gets a vote of no confidence, then the next morning at a press conference the following list of items that need to be addressed will be given to the government to regain the trust of the stakeholders and repair the irreparable damage Prime Minister Trudeau has done to the veteran community:

• Immediately replace Minister Hehr
• The new Ministers office will have to have to hire veterans.
• The immediate retirement or transfer of the author of the New Veteran's Charter Bernard Butler
• The transition of the Department headquarters back to Ottawa
• The three objectives to be prioritized Life Long Pension, Care, Transition.

Once these objectives are met then can the veterans truly begin to trust that the Liberal government are going to begin to be true to their word. In the last two years the inexcusable treatment at the hands of the government should be admonished. Instead, dignitaries are going to fly half way across the world to commemorate the centennial of the sacrifice and the watershed moment that helped create a Canadian identity.

All while ignoring the Prime Minister Borden's promise but three days prior to the battle for the ridge. The shame in which these people should feel knows no bounds. The utter disregard for the promises made not just by previous administrations but out of their very mouths is deplorable.

To justifiably stand in front of a memorial while demonstrably desecrating the morale obligations all Canadians stand by shows not only how unfit for the role these people are, but also just how low they are willing to go to use an iconic anniversary to their own benefit.

That is why the committees and the stakeholders do not feel comfortable being used by the government when they claim that the decisions this government makes at the detriment of the veterans was consulted and approved by veterans. We have a moral obligation to those we represent both past and future and we want to show our peers and future generations that we have their backs.

We refuse to believe that our voices will be used to harm those that we have served with. We did not march, fight, and bleed alongside our fellow brothers and sisters to be used by the likes of you. You will not use us to shield your unpatriotic decisions.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/bruce-moncur/prime-minister-borden_b_15849818.html
Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4771
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Trudeau Is Ready To Break A 100-Year Promise To Veterans

Post by teentitan on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 17:55

This is a fantastic idea!

I fully support this objective by Bruce!
teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3194
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Many wounded war veterans feel Trudeau has let them down

Post by Trooper on Sun 09 Apr 2017, 05:29

Many wounded war veterans feel Trudeau has let them down

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, his wife Sophie Trudeau and son Xavier board a government plane in Ottawa, Saturday April 8, 2017. The prime minister and his family are heading to France to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge.

LORRIE GOLDSTEIN, TORONTO SUN
Apr 8, 2017

As Prime Minister Justin Trudeau attends the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge Sunday, many of Canada’s injured and wounded veterans feel he has betrayed them.

They want him to fulfill his 2015 election promise to restore lifetime military disability pensions.

Trudeau was the only party leader to make this commitment.

The Liberal campaign website promised: “We will re-establish lifelong pensions as an option for our injured veterans and increase the value of the disability award.”

On the campaign trail, Trudeau promised: “If I earn the right to serve this country as your Prime Minister, no veteran will be forced to fight their own government for the support and compensation that they have earned. We will reinstate lifelong pensions and increase their value in line with the obligation we have made to those injured in the line of duty.”

But almost 18 months later, a group of Afghanistan war veterans is in court (the case is being heard in B.C.), having launched a class action lawsuit against Trudeau’s government on this very issue.

When the Liberals announced post-election they would oppose these injured veterans — reviving legal arguments made against them used by Stephen Harper's government — veterans’ lawyer, Donald Sorochan, called it a “betrayal,” given Trudeau’s promise.

“They have turned the Liberal election campaign into a lie,” Sorochan told CBC News. “I sat at tables (during the campaign) with some of the people who are now in cabinet. Those ministers have been turned into liars by the Department of Justice.”

Lifetime military disability pensions were eliminated under legislation supported and passed by all parties during Paul Martin's Liberal government in 2005 and implemented by Harper's Conservative government in 2006.

They were replaced by a lump-sum payment of up to $360,000, depending on the severity of the injury, career retraining and targeted income replacement.

Injured veterans challenging this change argue it discriminates against them because it gives them less compensation than offered by the lifetime pension plan.

Harper’s government made some improvements to the disability plan and Liberal Finance Minister Bill Morneau’s latest budget promised $725 million in improved benefits for veterans and their families over five years.

It said the government is still working on restoring the lifetime pension option for injured veterans.

But critics say it appears all the Liberals are talking about is breaking down whatever lump-sum disability payment an injured veteran gets into monthly payments.

“It’s all smoke and mirrors if they are just going to take the disability award and spread it out,” veterans’ lawyer Sorochan told The Canadian Press. “This doesn’t make the lawsuit go away ... Why was something good enough for Korean War veterans not good enough for these guys?”

The B.C. veterans’ support group Equitas, which launched the class action against Trudeau’s government, noted last week that: “In 1917, on the eve of the attack on Vimy Ridge, Prime Minister Robert Borden assured the country’s soldiers they ‘need have no fear that the government and the country would fail to show just appreciation of their service’ ... (and promised) none would have ‘just cause to reproach the government for having broken faith’ with its troops.”

A century later, many injured veterans say they are still waiting for that promise to be fulfilled.

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Canada/2017/04/08/22716492.html
Trooper
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by teentitan on Sun 09 Apr 2017, 10:29

So over 200 views on this topic and NO ONE has a comment?

For months people have been asking for a leader to step forward and start the charge against the Liberals to keep their promise.

But what do I hear? Crickets! I guess some people only talk the talk while a man like Bruce Moncur is trying to walk the walk for NVC veterans.
teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar on Mon 10 Apr 2017, 10:45

Good for Bruce. He is doing what most of us can't. I can only handle so much stress and don't have any fight left in me. Rejection, defeat and frustration in dealing with VAC did me in. Might be a reason for crickets Teen.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by teentitan on Mon 10 Apr 2017, 11:31

I totally understand frustration and defeat Prawn.  That said CSAT is a forum where you keep your identity safe from VAC.

Is it too hard to give support to this idea/action?

Listen I have been to these stakeholder meetings and believe me there are a lot of vets that attend that really don't deserve to be there.  They don't participate, never say a word, have an idea to improve vet's lives.  They are attending to be wined and dined and used as a prop, photo op, and give credence to the Minister when he says "We consulted with the veteran community and they agree...."

BUT say one negative thing about the Minister and they lose their minds!  They will shout you down, shame you and yap about you behind your back.  OR they will run to the Minister like a little schoolyard kid and snitch on you for what you say.

Bruce is not just challenging the Minister to live up to their word.  He is taking on veterans as well.

It's either shyte or get off the pot time for veterans that show up only because it's a free trip to make them feel important.  But really they are royally screwing over NVC vets by being a VAC doorstop against real veteran advocates like Bruce.

IMO Bruce is not going to run and cut bait if his idea comes to fruition like Ron Clarke did.

Bruce will continue to advocate for vets where Clarke quit when he got his DO back in Sydney.

Advocates like Bruce are getting scarce and it's time to let him know if you support him or not.  We all know 99.9% of the CSAT members are veterans so word will get to Bruce that CSAT either supports him or CSAT is where all the crickets come to settle.
teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar on Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:36

Teen. I totally agree with Bruce and all the advocates we have. The problem is no matter how bad we make those bastards look they don't care. Campaign promises broken, lies upon lies to our veterans and these sociopaths just swerve and deflect. The public is always fooled by their so called "fulfilled" campaign promises. Many other "special interest groups" get millions thrown at them while we get lied to while they get the gold mine and we get the shaft. What if we had a coalition of advocates all beating the same drum at the same time? I feel your frustrations as well having chaired meetings with a clear cut agenda. When it came time to speak nobody opened their yaps and the few that did regretted it.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by teentitan on Mon 10 Apr 2017, 13:00

Good point Prawn but I truly believe this move by Bruce is going to be the first step to getting advocates to beat the same drum at the same time, as you said.

First thing is veterans NEED to clear to chaff from the wheat and this is going to piss off a lot of veterans but it needs to be done.

The first step is the hardest and I hope, no I want this to be a leap not a step in the right direction.
teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Mon 10 Apr 2017, 14:40

Without a doubt any Veteran who is willing to stand up to try and better the system needs applause. However, that does not mean that everyone has to agree that positive change will be made from what the Veteran or Veteran group brings forward.

We should all respect one another regardless of any differences we may have, this is not what has been happening, in my opinion things have changed in terms of advocating on behalf of Veterans, both from Veterans and Veteran groups alike, in particular these summit meetings.

The charter itself has many benefits that are intended to give the perception that this charter is better for Veterans, and at the same time acknowledges that further ongoing work is needed to continue to keep it's merits in place going forward. This charter in my opinion was designed to give false perception, and to divide Veterans and Veteran groups to the point where the division makes the government look good on every implementation that is brought forward. Further to this, the divisions we are seeing today makes it impossible to accomplish the most important changes.

No disrespect to Bruce, or anyone else trying to better the system, replacing the Minister will not solve our problems, we've had many Ministers both Veterans and non Veteran and the flow, flows the exact same way.
Going after the author of the NVC will not solve anything either.
Moving the headquarters back to Ottawa will not change anything either.
Yes, good points to bring up and escalating tensions all around also, however, when the arguments are finished, does anyone seriously think that anything will change? I for one don't think anything will change, you can argue all you want, you can put individuals in their place, but when all is said and done, it's the change that counts, without the change, you have accomplished absolutely nothing, nothing in the form of a positive change.
Yes, at one time in history this tactic might have worked, but in today's world with the charter in place, tactics need to change.
First off, I believe that anyone who shows up for these summits, are actually doing more harm to Veterans even though the intention is not to do any harm. The intention is to better the system, my thoughts are simple, how can you better the system by attending these summits when the individuals in charge of hosting these summits are being directed by the bureaucrats who have their own interest, and are sitting behind closed doors? Yes, you can attend and make your point, you can make others look bad, but what you won't do is change anything, not in today's world.

I think we had our chance to make a difference at the beginning, this in my view is not possible today using these tactics of attending these summits and feeding into their PR system.
Continuing to inform the media is in my view a solid path moving forward, but more importantly we need one group who is organized and united to start mass protest.
I applaud all advocates, regardless if I agree with their tactics or not, we are all Veterans and we should not allow ourselves to be caught up in the governments trap.

In my own opinion, there's only one group who is on the right track in advocating today, that is Banished Veterans.

I think the members of CSAT have seen enough in terms of what's going on with our file, they are more educated and probably understand better of what, if anything, will make a difference.
Trooper
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by teentitan on Mon 10 Apr 2017, 15:04

I respect your opinion Trooper.

By Bruce having this motion put forward the day of or before the Stakeholder Summit will attract the news to report on this motion.

That is PR we need....Veterans are not happy with the Minister and want him gone!

Will it make a change? Don't know until it's tried.

What if it is successful? It will embarrass the GoC to take charge and do what they promised to do. In other words a big message to the bureaucrats. You may be the tail but you ain't wagging the dog anymore!

This idea just might bring all the veteran organizations together to work together.

Something has to be done to get this Government moving on their promises and IMO this is the right idea and time to do so.
teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top