Functional Capacity Assessment

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Functional Capacity Assessment

Post by Yump5555 on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 16:27

My case manager sent me to CVVRS and I have been advised that I have to complete a Functional Capacity Assessment. Has anyone been through this? What can I expect as my physical abilities are very limited.

Yump5555
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2017-01-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Functional Capacity Assessment

Post by bigrex on Sat 08 Apr 2017, 10:55

I have undergone this assessment, and it was done over 2 days. They had me lifting a milk crate with weights inside, from the floor to a waist level shelf, and back to the floor, as many times as possible. They had me pushing and pulling a weighted sled. There was also grip strength, and they also time how long I was able to stand without pain, and how long I could sit in one position before needing to adjust myself. They had me walk around the parking lot, as long as I could, before needing to stop, assessing both my endurance, but also my gait. There were also dexterity tests, where I had to remove a bunch of small pegs from hole one side of a board, and place them in holes on the other side of it, to test my fine motor functions. It's been several years, so I forget exactly everything they did, but you get the idea of what to expect.

So my suggestion to you, is whatever they have you doing, stop as soon as you feel pain. I know that it's hard to fight the urge to soldier on through the pain, just like we did while in uniform, but that will only hurt you in the long run. Also, you are being assessed from the moment you walk in the office. They made me wait around 15 minutes in the waiting area, just to see if I behaved differently when I thought I wasn't being watched.

Good luck.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3078
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv on Mon 10 Apr 2017, 09:09

Thanks bigrex. This is great info about that assessment (how they play it).
I am still this stupid and 'soldier on' when it comes to assessments and, of course, it doesn't help.
Thanks again, I will keep this in mind when my turn comes up.
Cheers

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 15:08

Yump5555, have you done the assessment?
Any points to share?

Thanks

czerv
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Yump5555 on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 17:02

I actually completed the FCE last week. It was held over 2 days. It was around 3-4 hours per day. A lot of pushing, pulling, bending, walking on treadmill, lifting objects, stairs etc... it was the same both days and the therapist told me that this was done to test your weaknesses after a day of the physical tests. I suffer severe dizziness and I found a lot of the physical testing caused me to be more dizzy then normal because if the constant up down side to side movements. I was not happy however that the therapist advised that her job was to push you to your limits.

Yump5555
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Yump5555 on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 17:07

They gradually increase the weight of pushing, pulling, lifting etc.. by small increments. Starting at 2lbs then 5lbs, 10lbs etc.. To be honest I found the testing to be very negative towards my health conditions and the therapist had no sympathy for any concerns that I had. She was a 4th party that was hired by the 3rd party CVVRS of which then reports back to Veteran Affairs. Seems to be a lot of people involved if you ask me

Yump5555
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 17:53

Yump5555, thank you so much for this info.
It does not sound good. Looks like they are causing more injuries to people going through that stupid assessment. Looks like job making project for themselves.
When you are done with them (get their assessment) report that therapist to their board.
That is what I am going to do when done with the test and dealing with one like yours.
Not looking forward to it. More people report that abuse to the boards that certify or licence them the better ( not for them).

Thanks again

czerv
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top