Hearing Loss and Tinitus

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hearing Loss and Tinitus

Post by HansBlix on Sun 16 Apr 2017, 07:58

Just looking for advice on this topic and there seems a lot of knowledgeable people on here. I submitted 2 applications at the same time back in 2011...one for tinnitus and one for hearing loss both ears. The application for tinnitus came back as approved at 11% but I did not receive any decision at all on the application for hearing loss both ears. Does anyone know if VAC considers both as the same condition and therefore the 11% covers both applications or are they usually separate claims? Just looking for some advice on whether I should even bother reaching out to VAC on this.....really have a hard time motivating myself to deal with the procedures and processes that is VAC (as you can tell, been inactive on this particular one since 2011). Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks.

HansBlix
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2017-04-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Hearing Loss and Tinitus

Post by bigrex on Sun 16 Apr 2017, 10:59

Hearing loss and tinnitus are normally decided separately. So since you never received a decision specifically for your hearing loss claim, I would say that it was either lost in their system and never made it to the decision level, or that they may have sent you a letter requesting additional information, such as a requesting an up to date audiology report, that was lost in the mail. If the latter was the case, your claim would have been suspended until that info was received. Then once they failed to get that information, they likely eventually closed your claim. So the first thing I would do, is call VAC, and request a Summary of Assessment. It will list all approved conditions (and the percentage), and non-approved conditions. This will tell you whether or not your hearing loss claim was ever decided upon, or suspended. Then, once you have that info, you can make your decision on what to do next.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3074
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluesky1943 on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 14:36

For me, They are both included in my award. X amount for both and combined for total.
I have a question of my own however. I received an award upgrade of 11% (18-29) Does anyone know if it is possible to have their hearing aids replaced for a higher quality within the 4 year replacement dogma.

Bluesky1943
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2017-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by thunderbolt on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 14:47

Hearing loss and Tinnitus are seperate claims. I was approved for Tinnitus for 11% in 2013 and denied hearing loss because my hearing is H2 and isn't quite bad enough for a claim...

thunderbolt
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2017-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by rkman on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 17:13

I was awarded 11 % for tinnitus and 4 % for hearing back in 2014. Both of my conditions have gotten worse in the past couple of years can I re-apply to see if I would be entitled a larger %. Secondly I have discovered two things that can really help me with my tinnitus and each time I try to get some financial assistance with the treatments VA turns me down and tells me that the treatments are not in the scope of treatments available. How can I fight this with VA to get them to think outside of the box and help me out. The one treatment that really helps is going to an Osteopath but they say that this is not covered for this disability. Such a simple thing but they don't want to put out for 12 sessions at $75.00 a pop for a trial to see how much relief I can really get. Any ideas how to get them to think outside the box

rkman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2017-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by rkman on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 17:15

With regards to the hearing aid replacement (Bluesky) I had mine replaced at two years for my tinnitus. There was some great advancements with tinnitus maskers and they replaced mine no questions asked.

rkman
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 18:12

rkman - You are right on the Osteopath. Although I have tinnitus(Rad- Op), I do Osteopath for my ptsd. Vac does cover it for ptsd, and I find it helps. VVV...
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by rkman on Mon 01 May 2017, 08:16

So the question is how can I persuade VA to pay for some osteopath treatments. They claim it is not a approved treatment for tinnitus and have denied my request for some treatments. I had a recommendation from my doctor, my audiologist and my osteopath. what do I try now?

rkman
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Mon 01 May 2017, 13:52

rkman wrote:So the question is how can I persuade VA to pay for some osteopath treatments. They claim it is not a approved treatment for tinnitus and have denied my request for some treatments. I had a recommendation from my doctor, my audiologist and my osteopath. what do I try now?

rkman,

The only way you have a shot at convincing VAC to approve you for Osteopath Treatment is to appeal the decision.
This is the only option I see for you in this situation, your grounds for appeal would come from your doctor in stating the importance and help your getting from Osteopathy Treatments.

How to appeal a decision: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/health/treatment-benefits/tb-appeal

Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5125
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by HansBlix on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 09:47

Thanks for the advice! Truly appreciated. So I resubmitted all my documents and now showing on my VAC account as application for Hearing Loss - Step 2, so I guess we will see what happens shortly. Does anyone know what the actual calculation is to determine your DSHL? On my audiogram I am looking at plots as follows: 500hz - 40db both left and right, 1000hz - 50db left and 45db right, 2000hz - 45db both left and right, 3000hz - 55db left and 60db right. I'm not sure if you simply use 0db as your start point and add the 4 numbers together for each ear ie: left ear 40+50+45+55= DSHL of 190 (would be great) or possibly use 25 as your start point in which case - 15+25+20+30= DSHL of 90 (not so great). Or maybe there is way more to it that I'm not factoring in. Any ideas?

HansBlix
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2017-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 10:55

No, I believe that VAC believes that hearing loss only qualifies as a disability if you have a minimum of a -95 decibel loss, over the 4 frequencies. So you would cross -190 (best ear) with -190 (worst ear) to get the impairment rating of 18. You also add the QoL rating, bringing you to a minimum of 20, and max of 23. Then you add an amount for other symptoms of hearing loss, such as ear infections, Tinnitus and Vertigo, and their individual QOL ratings.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3074
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 11:25

another thing to add to anyone with Tinnitus if your not maxed out on it and you don't have a masking device you can go to your doc and get a prescription for a masking device for tinnitus and if your approved it will add 5% to your claim i am not sure on the max i think it is 12% and in order to get it you need to be at 5% and if your not at 5% they should bump you up. i was at 2% back in 2008 and got my doc to give me a prescription and it was approved now with the masking device i am now at 11% something to ask about it did not take very long as well i only waited two months before it was all approved and in my hands i think this was because i already had been approved and they put it as a reassessment good luck hope it all works out

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by SaintJohn18182 on Thu 15 Jun 2017, 19:11

Last edited by SaintJohn18182 on Tue 20 Jun 2017, 08:55; edited 1 time in total
SaintJohn18182
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2017-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by SaintJohn18182 on Tue 20 Jun 2017, 08:55

I got approved and my audiologist said that I need a masking device for both ears.. resulting in 6% but I got this response instead:

Please Note
Your submitted Tinnitus Questionnaire tells us you were prescribed a masking device, but we need information from your doctor, or other health care professional, telling us what this device is, or any medications you
were given to mask your tinnitus.

How could I go upon getting the full percentage and also the full coverage so I can actually get a masking device? Do I just get the audiologist to prescribe me a masking device and send the paperwork to VAC and they'll bounce me up to 11%?
SaintJohn18182
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2017-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 on Tue 20 Jun 2017, 09:24

Hi SaintJohn - just went through this myself. I had to get my family dr to write a script for the device. Took it too my hearing place, then DVA needed a new hearing test, so did that, and then the bell tone sent it all in to Vac to be approved, so hopefully I will get the device. Hope this helps. VVV..
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top