Hearing Loss and Tinitus

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hearing Loss and Tinitus

Post by bosn181 on Tue 20 Jun 2017, 12:49

i seen this before what they need is the model number and name of the masking device you will have to talk to the audiologist and get the model and numbers and send that to vac

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by SaintJohn18182 on Thu 29 Jun 2017, 07:55

I got my masking device approved by Bluecross... after sending the prescription to VAC.. does that mean I'm automatically going to get a 5% increase?

SaintJohn18182
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2017-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by SaintJohn18182 on Thu 29 Jun 2017, 08:02

By the way, does anyone have any experience with the masking device? Is it beneficial at all?
They also prescribed me a pillow speaker thing.
SaintJohn18182
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2017-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 on Thu 29 Jun 2017, 10:50

the masking device works very well for me it just makes a white noise and the pillow speaker comes with it and you plug it into the masking device so you can put the speaker under your pillow i set it to thunderstorms and listen its pretty cool.  as to your ? about the 5% i was at 2% from 2008 when doc prescribed the masking device they had to bump up my tinnitus to 5% to get the masking device and the device put it up another 5% i think the max you can get is 12% tinnitus i am not 100% sure on that but i am sure thats what they told me as well hearing loss and tinnitus are separate claims

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by HansBlix on Mon 11 Sep 2017, 16:19

Update....week 21 and just got a phone call from VAC saying that I must now undergo and submit a new hearing test. Their reasoning...a hearing test I had in 2007 showed no hearing loss while my release hearing test I had in 2011 showed moderate hearing loss. They say that this new hearing test I will have to take is necessary to verify the disability noted on release is chronic. Anybody know if this is legit? I can't seem to find anything in VAC Policy stating the necessity to have a post release hearing test done to validate the results of the actual release hearing test.

HansBlix
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2017-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 11 Sep 2017, 17:28

HansBlix wrote:Update....week 21 and just got a phone call from VAC saying that I must now undergo and submit a new hearing test. Their reasoning...a hearing test I had in 2007 showed no hearing loss while my release hearing test I had in 2011 showed moderate hearing loss. They say that this new hearing test I will have to take is necessary to verify the disability noted on release is chronic. Anybody know if this is legit? I can't seem to find anything in VAC Policy stating the necessity to have a post release hearing test done to validate the results of the actual release hearing test.

Looks like they want to ensure the 2011 test stands today or worsen. It's an application so they can approve, deny or ask for more info/test. In your case they are looking for you to do another test which is in my mind taking it a little to far, you did your part and submitted the proper evidence to support your claim. They should have approved you based on the evidence you submitted, what they are doing is just causing stress to the Veteran applying for the benefit. I heard the new Minister say he wants to see more of giving the benefit of doubt to Veterans applying for benefits, I guess it's just words. Unfortunately you will need to submit another test to satisfy them, the test may prove your hearing to have worsen from moderate which will help you in the end. When you go in to do your test, make sure you say the word what a lot to the individual giving you the test.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 11 Sep 2017, 18:06

Trooper wrote:
HansBlix wrote:Update....week 21 and just got a phone call from VAC saying that I must now undergo and submit a new hearing test. Their reasoning...a hearing test I had in 2007 showed no hearing loss while my release hearing test I had in 2011 showed moderate hearing loss. They say that this new hearing test I will have to take is necessary to verify the disability noted on release is chronic. Anybody know if this is legit? I can't seem to find anything in VAC Policy stating the necessity to have a post release hearing test done to validate the results of the actual release hearing test.

Looks like they want to ensure the 2011 test stands today or worsen. It's an application so they can approve, deny or ask for more info/test. In your case they are looking for you to do another test which is in my mind taking it a little to far, you did your part and submitted the proper evidence to support your claim. They should have approved you based on the evidence you submitted, what they are doing is just causing stress to the Veteran applying for the benefit. I heard the new Minister say he wants to see more of giving the benefit of doubt to Veterans applying for benefits, I guess it's just words. Unfortunately you will need to submit another test to satisfy them, the test may prove your hearing to have worsen from moderate which will help you in the end. When you go in to do your test, make sure you say the word what a lot to the individual giving you the test.    

Hearing Loss

The Hearing Loss Entitlement Eligibility Guideline will apply to claims where the 2006 edition of the Table of Disabilities would apply. Refer to the TOD Transition Protocols.

An application for entitlement for a hearing loss should properly be submitted as "hearing loss" regardless of the type(s) of loss.

Please note: Entitlement should be granted for a chronic condition only. For VAC purposes, "chronic" means that the condition has existed for at least 6 months. Signs and symptoms are generally expected to persist despite medical attention, although they may wax and wane over the 6-month period and thereafter.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/after-injury/disability-benefits/benefits-determined/entitlement-eligibility-guidelines/hearing_loss

Back to top Go down

Post by HansBlix on Mon 11 Sep 2017, 18:22

OK. I totally missed that. Man, they sure have all their bases covered. Thanks for the info Trooper. Guess it's off to the Audiologist I go. I wonder if this will re-set the 16 week(ish) clock?

HansBlix
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2017-04-16

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top