CIA and ELB

View previous topic View next topic Go down

CIA and ELB

Post by SaintJohn18182 on Tue 02 May 2017, 13:46

Hi All,

I tried googling this question and even tried searching this forum.. no idea how this works.

I don't currently receive any income and ELB is my sole income and has no deductions.

I applied for the CIA in January of this year and I just got approved.

On MyVAC in "Financial" Benefits.. Career Impact Allowance is now added on to the total sum and my Net Entitlement has increased.

But to my knowledge shouldn't that be deducted from ELB?

I have no idea whats going on.
SaintJohn18182
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2017-02-24

Back to top Go down

Re: CIA and ELB

Post by bigrex on Tue 02 May 2017, 13:52

No, ELB and CIA are calculated completely separately. So relax and enjoy the additional money
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3078
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by SaintJohn18182 on Tue 02 May 2017, 13:53

You've got to be kidding me? Really? Its friggen awesome to be able to get $500 extra a month.. is that for life?

SaintJohn18182
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Tue 02 May 2017, 14:08

SaintJohn18182 wrote:You've got to be kidding me? Really? Its friggen awesome to be able to get $500 extra a month.. is that for life?

Yes, it's for life.
Your ELB will stop on your 65th Birthday.

The Career Impact Allowance (CIA) is a taxable, monthly benefitó payable for life. The allowance is provided when your career options have been limited because of a service-related illness or injury.

Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5253
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by SaintJohn18182 on Tue 02 May 2017, 14:10

Well ELB stops whenever I get kicked off the Rehab program because I can't get my doctor to fill out the proper forms I guess. but at least I'll have CIA for life even though its not much.

Thank you very very very much for the information though, you relieved some anxiety!
SaintJohn18182
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Tue 02 May 2017, 14:15

SaintJohn18182 wrote:Well ELB stops whenever I get kicked off the Rehab program because I can't get my doctor to fill out the proper forms I guess. but at least I'll have CIA for life even though its not much.

Thank you very very very much for the information though, you relieved some anxiety!

SaintJohn18182,

They are three grades to the CIA, 1, 2 and 3.

You are at level three, the lowest. You can in the future apply for a higher grade.

There's also the CIA Supplement which currently pays $1,103.06 a Month.

Click here for the info: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/rates#pia

Trooper
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SaintJohn18182 on Tue 02 May 2017, 14:17

How may I apply for the CIA Supplement, or is that if I lose my ELB?

Thank you for the information.
SaintJohn18182
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Tue 02 May 2017, 14:24

SaintJohn18182 wrote:How may I apply for the CIA Supplement, or is that if I lose my ELB?

Thank you for the information.

It has nothing to do with ELB.

How to apply?

Your VAC case manager can assist you with your application.

If you do not have a case manager, the staff at any VAC office or Integrated Personnel Support Centre (IPSC) can assist you.

You can also fill out the application

OR

If you are registered for My VAC Account, you can apply online now. If you arenít registered, why wait? Register today.

CIA supplement

Veterans who receive the Career Impact Allowance, and who are deemed to have diminished earning capacity, are also eligible for the career impact allowance supplement.

Diminished earning capacity

This term means that a Veteran is unable to earn at least 66.7% of their adjusted pre-release salary

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/transition/rehabilitation/career-impact-allowance
Trooper
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SaintJohn18182 on Tue 02 May 2017, 14:27

I guess I already applied but since I got to see the CIA of around $500 automatically on my profile, I'm guessing I didn't get approved for the Supplement.

Thanks for all the help guys. I love this forum.
SaintJohn18182
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Tue 02 May 2017, 14:41

SaintJohn18182 wrote:

I guess I already applied but since I got to see the CIA of around $500 automatically on my profile, I'm guessing I didn't get approved for the Supplement.

Thanks for all the help guys. I love this forum.

The CIA level three is just the starting point, as a Veteran you are entitled to apply for a higher grade at your own discretion, don't let anyone including VAC tell you otherwise.

Same goes for the CIA Supplement, apply for it, speak to your Case Manager and tell them you want to apply.

Bottom line, if you feel you would qualify for level 2 CIA, or the Supplement, apply.

I've seen to many Veterans being told by VAC and Case Managers that they would not qualify, only to prove them wrong by being persistent in their quest to follow through with their application.

You are a Veteran, and the benefits are their for you to apply for, so apply for everything you feel you deserve.
Trooper
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum