Disabled level

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Disabled level

Post by Iceman on Fri 19 May 2017, 10:37

as far as i can tell, veteran affairs classifies disability into levels, low medium, serious and frail

my question.
due to a reassessment, I have gone from a "low" rating, into the medium rating

Can anyone tell me if there a difference in what benefits are now available?
** i am both PA and DA, and only receive basic PA, in addition to the award amount

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Low
less than 48%

Medium disabled
Medium disabled is the term used to describe those veteran pensioners or civilian pensioners whose extent of disability, in respect of the aggregate of all of their disability assessments under the Pension Act and the Canadian Forces Members and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Act is equal to or greater than 48%, but less than 78%.

Seriously disabled
Seriously disabled, in relation to a client, means that the client's extent of disability, in respect of the aggregate of all of the client's disability assessments under the Pension Act and the Canadian Forces Members and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Act, is equal to or greater than 78%. (Only clients with at least a portion of their disability related to service in WWI, WWII, or the Korean War may be eligible for benefits as seriously disabled).

Totally disabled
Totally disabled, in the context of programs under the Veterans Health Care Regulations (VHCR), means 'frailty'.

Frail pensioner
Frail pensioner means a Veteran pensioner, a civilian pensioner, a special duty service pensioner, a military service pensioner, or a former member or reserve member of the Canadian Armed Forces that is entitled to a Disability Award; who is considered to be at risk due to frailty. Frailty, in this instance, is defined as the occurrence of a critical mass of physiological conditions that place an individual at risk for falls, injuries, illnesses or the need for supervision or hospitalization. Frailty also results in a severe and prolonged impairment of function with little or no likelihood of improvement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Iceman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2016-05-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Disabled level

Post by czerv on Fri 19 May 2017, 11:30

Wow, I did not know they had that classificaton.
Low at less than 48%? Idiotic classification. One may have 48% from one condition (?) and be seriously FUBAR and still 'Low' in their books?
Also, they are very low bowling their assessment to start with.
My two cents

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Fri 19 May 2017, 14:29

Iceman,

Those disability level numbers are not meant for the purpose of what other benefits your entitled to. They may aid in the decision process on any given application, but not in the qualifying for application or benefit sense.

If I may make a suggestion to you, if you have not applied for rehab, you should think of applying, this does not necessarily mean going back to school, if approved for rehab, you could apply for the Earnings Loss Benefit, CIA, CIAS and VIP.

If you have a case manager, they could help you with all of this.

The benefits are there for us to apply, don't let anyone discourage you from applying. You are a Veteran, your entitled to apply for these benefits.

Lots of forum members did not apply for these benefits simply because they did not think they would qualify, or were told by certain case managers they don't have a chance, only to be pushed into applying where some were successful on the first application, some had to appeal to finally get approved.

Perhaps you already know all of this, but it don't hurt to give you a reminder or a push.

Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4889
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman on Fri 19 May 2017, 15:01

Topper, thanks for the info. i was just curious

25 years out, don't know if rehab really would apply.
I am also currently employed, so i don't think ELB, CIA, CIAS would apply
I looked at VIP, and since i have a wife and daughter at home that could do the things i can't. i don't think that applies either

i had a case manager a few years ago. his workload was double, so my file was transferred to a new CM when one came on board. she emailed me once, said she would call me in a month or 2, and never did. found out a little while ago, that my file was in the general pool now, and not CM managed.

Iceman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2016-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Fri 19 May 2017, 15:12

Iceman wrote:Topper, thanks for the info. i was just curious

25 years out, don't know if rehab really would apply.
I am also currently employed, so i don't think ELB, CIA, CIAS would apply
I looked at VIP, and since i have a wife and daughter at home that could do the things i can't. i don't think that applies either

i had a case manager a few years ago. his workload was double, so my file was transferred to a new CM when one came on board.  she emailed me once, said she would call me in a month or 2, and never did. found out a little while ago, that my file was in the general pool now, and not CM managed.

OK your employed now, keep an eye on your PA and DA file for worsen of approved disability, and any consequential claims you can submit.

With respect to the other benefits mentioned, this would be something to look into in the event you had to stop work because of your pensioned disability.

IE: PA & DA awarded benefits.
Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4889
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired on Sat 20 May 2017, 02:43

If you can't do things around the home or need family to assist you must certainly apply for VIP. Spouses and are children are not here to take over your workload, that is what VIP is for so you can hire someone to help you in and around the home as well your spouse should be receiving a care givers allowance based on how much she has to do. My wife solely looks after our funds, cooks the meals, manages the mail, pay the bills and they give about $800/month for what she does plus I get a set amount for house cleaning and a set amount for lawn maintenance, shovelling snow etc. those two are around $5,000/year. So certainly worth it to apply especially if your wife is the lead in the home and you can't do the yardwork or cleaning your house. Good luck
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by SIGS PIGS on Sat 20 May 2017, 15:08

good afternoon everyone,

I am 112 % disabled and already have been paid at 100% and collect VIP is there anything else out there that I may qualify for that i am unaware of: thanks in advance

sigs pigs

SIGS PIGS
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2017-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Sat 20 May 2017, 15:24

Sig Pig, you can also apply for the CIA, and if you are unable to work, you may also qualify for the CIA supplement and the ELB.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3047
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by RobbieRoyal on Sat 20 May 2017, 18:03

how about an Exceptional Incapacity Allowance if you are in receipt of:

• a Disability Pension for condition(s) that total 98% or more; OR
  • a Disability Pension and a Disability Award for conditions that total 98% or more; OR
  • a Disability Pension and POW compensation that total 98% or more; AND
  • you have an exceptional incapacity that is a result of, in whole or in part, the condition(s) for which you are receiving a disability benefit.
  • Tax free
RobbieRoyal
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1697
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by SIGS PIGS on Sat 20 May 2017, 18:24

thanks guys for weighing in, I am still working full time public service job but i am in pain everyday and getting worst,

sigs pigs

SIGS PIGS
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SIGS PIGS on Sat 20 May 2017, 19:13

thanks guys for weighing in, I am still working full time   public service job but i am in pain everyday and getting worst,

sigs pigs

SIGS PIGS
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv on Sat 20 May 2017, 20:44

What do they consider as "exceptionally incapacitated" for Exceptional Incapacity Allowance?
Cheers

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired on Sat 20 May 2017, 22:14

As Robbie has written above, once at 98% it s pretty much automatic.
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Sun 21 May 2017, 02:40

I would try to avoid the EIA, if at all possible. If you have to quit working due to the medical condition, there is no guarantee they will increase your EIA. But if on the CIA, and become unable to work, it's easier to qualify for the CIA supplement. And now with the new changes, you may qualify for more than just the minimum CIA, if unable to work full time, depending on how many years you served before being released.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3047
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired on Mon 22 May 2017, 00:11

Yes, but it was explained to me that EIA is better in the lead no run because it is tax free.
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top