http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/single-parent-military-1.4169806
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1097
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Single-parent-military

Post by Dove96 on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 08:55

I noticed there are no replies to this. I read the comments - and there are a lot.
She blames her recruiter for citing she was told she would be posted by her family and not be deployed. Then she blames the military for posting her and deploying her.
The replies are mostly typical blame game (recruiters lie, government lies, women shouldn't be in the military etc) - I thought I would add a few quotes that were ok:

"I spent 32 yrs in the Cdn Army and I have to ask just what these women expect? How na´ve can one be to think that you can join the military and not be expected to do the job because you have kids? A case in point is the women in the photo. She joined a trade in the Navy that we call a hard sea trade. She is training to drive warships. But now is complaining that she has to leave her kid to go to sea? And btw, its no different for a single father. And it is also no different for other jobs that require one to be away from home. So yeah, maybe these sorts of jobs are not conducive to your lifestyle and if that's the case fine, then don't do them.

But please stop moaning and complaining that you have been mistreated. The military is not a charity. They and taxpayers are not going to pay you to be a soldier so you can sit at home until your kid grows up."

"I retired last year after 35+ years in the RCAF. I have seen many single parents during my career, (both male and female), and all that I knew had a backup plan in case they had to be deployed, go on course, TD or any other requirement.
If these ladies think that they are special and any different from other members and deserve to get their pick of postings, work hours and whatever else in their careers just to suit themselves then they should not be there. There is no way that they did not know that something could happen during their career and have to put their job first.
As other military and ex-military have posted, every time someone has to stay home for their sick child, go home early, or whatever else during regular work hours, someone else has to pick up the slack.
And most times it was the same people who abused their rights."

Last edited by Dove96 on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 09:22; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : bad quote so changed it. Also removed names.)

Dove96
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 10:39

well said i was thinking it but did not want to say it and yes i seen lots of people join the navy and think they don't have to go to sea and i sit and shake my head when they find out they do have to the job they signed up for and seeing my doc always says to me stop and think before you speak because i get myself in lots of trouble lol so i won't say anything more on how i really feel on this types of matters but i thank you for your post

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 13:20

I saw the post and did not comment cause it can be a hot topic. She is the second of single mother's to have a similar complaint recently.

Well, sorry.....the military can only accomodate one so much. You joined the military and not a civilian job. Expect to be deployed. Expect to go on exercise. Expect to be posted. Expect to be gone on a moment's notice. Expect to go to conflict areas. Expect not to be their for your child's graduation or birthday. Expect to miss some milestones in your child's life. It is the responsibility of the member to ensure they have someone that can take their children on short notice and potentially for six months or more.

If a parent can't take care of child care then don't join the military. Work for a civvie org and join the military when your children are grown up.

I mean....how much accomodation do they expect the military to provide for them raising their children.? It is a career in the military....not a civvie job.

Military members male or female can't expect to have preferential treatment while their children are growing up. Who takes up the slack except for all the other soldiers.

And most of the men and women that are parents in the military do a good job at ensuring they have child care options in place for when they deploy like everyone else. These other people that are unhappy really don't belong in the military.....or at least not until their children have left their care.
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 16:05

Looks like we as Canadians will have a military that is not so much military!

Canadian military to relax deployment-readiness rule

But Gen. Vance is thinking beyond those whose wounds have left them unable to do their jobs. He wants to find a way to keep the young female pilot who does not want to be deployed during the years she is raising her children, or the computer expert whose ties to his community make it impossible for him to consider being shipped out.

"Maybe we need to make units in the Armed Forces that allow for people to say 'I am going to be cyber, I am not ever going to deploy, my work is in cyberspace,. I can be networked, I can be given direction, as long as it's in an environment that's safe,'" said Gen. Vance. "As long as you're loyal to the Armed Forces, you've gone through sufficient training to make you loyal to the Armed Forces, why can't that be your job?"

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canadian-military-to-relax-deployment-readiness-rule/article35281256/?ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theglobeandmail.com&service=mobile

These guys are an embarrassment to our forces overhaul, they lack in education, and lack in leadership!

These are the same people thinking of putting our Men and Women into a theater of peacekeeping where in today's world these radical machines are drugged up to the point where they think death will put them in a forever land of glory. They drug them, and slap on enough explosives to kill a section, or even a platoon of peacekeepers, and they want our troops to keep the peace facing this, worldwide?

It troubles me to see and read what is coming from the higher command, politicians are pushing these changes and the high brass is afraid to rock the boat in fear of their career. In the meantime, the troops are left picking up the pieces.

Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5518
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 16:33

Trooper - I'm with all the comments on here. Reading this all I could think of is WT_ is going on in the system we all slugged thru for yrs. All of us on here, have put the ruck and webbing on and did what we where told daily for yrs. If not one would find themselves doing the "Kit bag Drag" too the nearest clink.. It boggles my mind on what the future will look like if what the CDS is spouting about goes thru. Hang on Sgt, I got to run home and take my kid to daycare, school, etc, etc, Ya that will work,,not..VVV...
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove96 on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 17:33

Sounds like a whole separate level and classification outside of the CF.
As in a totally different non uniform wearing level.

We have that now. In Ottawa with LCMMs and in other bases with calibration centres. All sorts of contracted/civilian personnel working within/with the military.
And guess what?! Lots of the people are ex military.
Military people released with a disability are supposed to get priority hiring for these positions.

Just renaming and reorganizing what we have would do the job without making it a big deal.

Last edited by Dove96 on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 17:36; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : missing word)

Dove96
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top