Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

DEC CONSIDERATION

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: DEC CONSIDERATION

Post by bigrex on Wed 11 Jul 2018, 07:37

Yes, ELB can be stopped, but if you get a DEC determination, it will be paid at 90% until age 65, and after that, it will be reduced to 70% of the benefit. The CIA, if you can get it, will be for life. You said you get a disability pension, which means that it was either awarded before 2006 under the Pension Act (PA). or as a Lump sum Award under the New Veterans Charter (NVC) since 2006, but chosen to be paid out over several years, in monthly installments. But most people getting a disability pension fall under the Pension Act, which is also for life, and beyond, if married. But now is when you should be applying, because as of next year, the suite of benefits are going to be going through some major changes, and it's unclear how they will be managed once they do.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3321
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 on Wed 11 Jul 2018, 05:56

Artie Simm - I was in your boat a few yrs ago. Big Rex and a lot of us have gone thru the process. If you go on Voc Rehab, and just do pscy appts, etc, there should be no reason they take ELB away. Just keep all appts. I did a college crse for a yr. it was hard in my 50,s, but made it thru. Then got a real decent job, making good money. Worked for 5 mths, then the monsters came back big time. I could no longer concentrate, and have the memory of a nit..lol. Gotta laugh at ones self.
So left the job, advised CM right away, went back on full ELB, did more assessments, and after another 6 mths, put in for TPI thru CM, and was approved.
Like Bigrex said, financially most of us are doing better. That is the DEC/CIA/VIP folks. Thatís just my story. In my mind Iíd love to work, but know also my head spacing is fracked..lol. Donít be afraid to take the leap. We are hear for you Brother. Johnny Out, VVV...
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Wed 11 Jul 2018, 00:54

bigrex wrote:Artie, yes, they deduct your CF pension from the ELB, but that doesn't mean you lose your CF pension. †So if you get the minimum $47K for ELB, and it deducts your $12000 from the CF Pension, it leaves $35000 (before taxes). But you still also get that $12000 CF pension. Plus you get you Pension Act pension, which puts you above and beyond the $47K. Then if you apply for the CIA/CIAS, that money is also taxable (for now), but it does not reduce any of your other benefits.

So a severely disabled Veteran, getting the minimum benefits from ELB and CIA/CIAS, along with $1000/mo CF pension, and say $1000/mo PA pension, their worksheet would look like this.

ELB = $2900/mo ( $3900 - CF pension)
CF pension †= $1000/mo
CIA = $609/mo
CIAS = $1120/mo
PA Pension = $1000/ mo

Total gross Income = $6645/mo †or around $80k/year.

sorry for all the additional questions but elb can be taken away can it not, so it's not a guaranteed income til 65 .l might have it taken from me, yes? Also what is this pension act pension nothing to do with vac?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2017-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Tue 10 Jul 2018, 23:26

Artie, yes, they deduct your CF pension from the ELB, but that doesn't mean you lose your CF pension. So if you get the minimum $47K for ELB, and it deducts your $12000 from the CF Pension, it leaves $35000 (before taxes). But you still also get that $12000 CF pension. Plus you get you Pension Act pension, which puts you above and beyond the $47K. Then if you apply for the CIA/CIAS, that money is also taxable (for now), but it does not reduce any of your other benefits.

So a severely disabled Veteran, getting the minimum benefits from ELB and CIA/CIAS, along with $1000/mo CF pension, and say $1000/mo PA pension, their worksheet would look like this.

ELB = $2900/mo ( $3900 - CF pension)
CF pension = $1000/mo
CIA = $609/mo
CIAS = $1120/mo
PA Pension = $1000/ mo

Total gross Income = $6645/mo or around $80k/year.

bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo on Tue 10 Jul 2018, 22:59

Artie Simm wrote:
Nemo wrote:
Artie Simm wrote:
bigrex wrote:Artie, the thing is, if you go on ELB, it's ensures a minimum gross income of over $47000, but as a Cpl, or higher, with at least 10 years of service, it could be more, depending when you served. You would just be getting that amount split between two sources, ELB and the CF pension. Then your PA pension would be on top of that. Plus you can also apply for CIA, and CIAS (if deemed unable to work), if you're able to get it approved before next April. I'm making more money now, than when I was fighting to keep working, and I'm not having to keep myself doped up, just to get through every 12-14 hour shift.
l hate to keep going over this but my head is not screwed on straight on the best of days so the conflicting information just gives me anxiety.my CM told me that if l went on ELB ,VAC would subtract my superannuation pension from that $47000 leaving me with $30000.did you not have a pension for them to subtract,if you got the whole $47000?

You will get the minimum which is around 47K from all sources.
as l said I'm so screwed up by all the misinformation. My CM said that 47 grand faced deductions...which would put me in the poor house †, I really dont know what to believe anymore

Yes, you will have tax taken from the 47k...exactly as I do. It is not 47k tax free.
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Tue 10 Jul 2018, 22:15

Nemo wrote:
Artie Simm wrote:
bigrex wrote:Artie, the thing is, if you go on ELB, it's ensures a minimum gross income of over $47000, but as a Cpl, or higher, with at least 10 years of service, it could be more, depending when you served. You would just be getting that amount split between two sources, ELB and the CF pension. Then your PA pension would be on top of that. Plus you can also apply for CIA, and CIAS (if deemed unable to work), if you're able to get it approved before next April. I'm making more money now, than when I was fighting to keep working, and I'm not having to keep myself doped up, just to get through every 12-14 hour shift.
l hate to keep going over this but my head is not screwed on straight on the best of days so the conflicting information just gives me anxiety.my CM told me that if l went on ELB ,VAC would subtract my superannuation pension from that $47000 leaving me with $30000.did you not have a pension for them to subtract,if you got the whole $47000?

as l said I'm so screwed up by all the misinformation. My CM said that 47 grand faced deductions...which would put me in the poor house , I really dont know what to believe anymore
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo on Tue 10 Jul 2018, 20:39

Artie Simm wrote:

Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Tue 10 Jul 2018, 16:13

Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Tue 10 Jul 2018, 14:02

Artie, the thing is, if you go on ELB, it's ensures a minimum gross income of over $47000, but as a Cpl, or higher, with at least 10 years of service, it could be more, depending when you served. You would just be getting that amount split between two sources, ELB and the CF pension. Then your PA pension would be on top of that. Plus you can also apply for CIA, and CIAS (if deemed unable to work), if you're able to get it approved before next April. I'm making more money now, than when I was fighting to keep working, and I'm not having to keep myself doped up, just to get through every 12-14 hour shift.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Tue 10 Jul 2018, 12:19

kathyS wrote:l guess VAC will put me on ELB which also deducts superannuation which will end up being about $30000, it's not much with a wife and 3 kids, but at least l can get full time treatment.the only reason l keep posting here is hoping to find someone that was in my exact shoes and how they survived, just looking for a glimmer of hope............

If i was dealing with all this i would contact two places. Bureau of Pension A. †Secondly contact the VAC onbudsman. They both will listen and comment. Sometimes its out of their scope but it may help you sort our your situation. Neither place will your discussions affect any benefit program that you have or may receive in the future. Let us know. You do not need this stress
thanks l have contacted the bureau but they said they could only help me if l was looking for a reassessment of my injuries which I'm not.
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kathyS on Tue 10 Jul 2018, 11:34

l guess VAC will put me on ELB which also deducts superannuation which will end up being about $30000, it's not much with a wife and 3 kids, but at least l can get full time treatment.the only reason l keep posting here is hoping to find someone that was in my exact shoes and how they survived, just looking for a glimmer of hope............

If i was dealing with all this i would contact two places. Bureau of Pension A. Secondly contact the VAC onbudsman. They both will listen and comment. Sometimes its out of their scope but it may help you sort our your situation. Neither place will your discussions affect any benefit program that you have or may receive in the future. Let us know. You do not need this stress
kathyS
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2018-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Tue 10 Jul 2018, 10:24

bigrex wrote:Artie, no disrespect, but you've been asking the same basic questions for weeks. I and other have given you as many answers as we can. But we can only tell you how VAC benefits work, and what things will be deducted from ELB. But because private LTD plans, can include pretty much anything, even things that aren't legal, as long as they are never challenged in court. SISIP being the perfect example, I can't say that your LTD plan wouldn't screw you over. Ultimately, it's up to you, and your spouse, what you do. †

But I will say it again. if you are struggling, to the point that it's getting you in trouble with your employer, it may be better to retire for medical reasons, and go on LTD or ELB, even if it's reduced, than to be fired, and risk not being entitled to any benefits.
dont get me wrong, l appreciate all the advice I've been given here,but the reason I keep dancing around this subject is that l dont want to land out of the frying pan and into the fire. You are right l probably should not be working and instead get full time mental health,but suppose i were to go off from my work sick,and LTD is $1000 a month take home, but my superannuation pension is also a $1000,subtracted from that,I'd be broke, l might as well put a gun in my mouth, one less mouth to feed. I get it, the system isn't fair ,but from my angle l keep trying to go to work as long as l can until they do fire me l guess because right now that's bringing home the most bread to my family. If/ when l lose that job, l guess VAC will put me on ELB which also deducts superannuation which will end up being about $30000, it's not much with a wife and 3 kids, but at least l can get full time treatment.the only reason l keep posting here is hoping to find someone that was in my exact shoes and how they survived, just looking for a glimmer of hope
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Tue 10 Jul 2018, 07:32

Artie, no disrespect, but you've been asking the same basic questions for weeks. I and other have given you as many answers as we can. But we can only tell you how VAC benefits work, and what things will be deducted from ELB. But because private LTD plans, can include pretty much anything, even things that aren't legal, as long as they are never challenged in court. SISIP being the perfect example, I can't say that your LTD plan wouldn't screw you over. Ultimately, it's up to you, and your spouse, what you do.

But I will say it again. if you are struggling, to the point that it's getting you in trouble with your employer, it may be better to retire for medical reasons, and go on LTD or ELB, even if it's reduced, than to be fired, and risk not being entitled to any benefits.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Tue 10 Jul 2018, 00:33

AirLog wrote:Are your LTD benefits taxable or non-taxable? GWL made it very clear to me that all VAC benefits will not offset my LTD benefits. Not sure why yours is different.

AirLog
maybe the girl l spoke to on phone didn't know what she was talking about.however I addition to a disability pension l also get a superannuation pension this is subtracted from elb so l would assume its subtracted from LTD as well?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog on Mon 09 Jul 2018, 22:44

Are your LTD benefits taxable or non-taxable? GWL made it very clear to me that all VAC benefits will not offset my LTD benefits. Not sure why yours is different.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum: