Earnings Loss Benefits and the Clawback of VAC Disability Pensions

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Earnings Loss Benefits and the Clawback of VAC Disability Pensions

Post by SITREP on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 05:48

Ya, I'm pissed off. I really need the clawback to be over. I wasn't told until 2 months ago by VAC that I would have to pay for my college text books up front (and they are $950.00) and then would be reimbursed later. All said and done this month, after I paid my bills, bought food, 1 case of beer, new spectacles and gave my daughter extra money for school clothes on top of the child support I gave her mother, and a bus pass, I have $97.00 for the rest of the month. But if the clawback was over I would be fine. Now I have to borrow money from friends to make it to the end of the month.

This delay is a ll a bunch of horse shit.

Thanks for nothing VAC is all I have to say. And thanks for all the added stress, just before I return to school for the first time in 22 years.

SITREP
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by teentitan on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:13

SITREP I'm sorry that the info did not come out at the end of August like I was told by the Ministers Office. But I will give you one guess what my first phone call on Tuesday morning is going to be to?

Oh, about your books give the Ombudsman's office a call and tell them the reason why VAC would not front you the money to pay for your books. This is an issue they want to know because if it's systemic they fight to fix it.
teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3243
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by SITREP on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:40

I'll call the Ombudsman Tuesday afternoon when I get home from school teentitan. Thanks for the heads-up. I never thought of calling the ombudsman and if they can fix that for other vets, that would be great!

My thoughts are, if I have the list of books and the costs, why doesn't the gov just send the college a cheque?

It will be a tight month, but I'll survive. My friends are very supportive.

kindest regards

SITREP
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by teentitan on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 13:07

Sitrep here's the phone number for the OVO 1-877-330-4343

The person who answers will take the info and assign it to an investigator. Make sure you tell them the strain on your finances for the month that this insane policy has done.

Just a note for everyone if you are having a problem with VAC and can't figure out why or have a problem with their explanation call the OVO. The Ombudsman needs this info to fight for us. They need to know so they can show if a certain problem is systemic then they can go to VAC and get it fixed.
teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3243
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by SITREP on Thu 11 Oct 2012, 18:32

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/ottawa/story/2012/10/10/pol-veterans-affairs-benefits-changes.html

Very good news for 2500 families today!!!

SITREP
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pteadams2002 on Thu 11 Oct 2012, 21:05

Has anyone received their notices from VAC re: the clawback of the disability portion of ELB? I guess its half an hour later in Newfoundland. lol
pteadams2002
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2012-08-04

http://pteadams2002@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SITREP on Thu 11 Oct 2012, 21:14

I have not yet received a notice from VAC. However each case has to go to ajudication first, of that I was notified. I am sure they will look after the men and women that were zeroed out from ELB because of the clawback. Which is the way it should be. I'm at 40% under the old veterans pension act so I can wait for them to get their money first. But we will recieve retro cheques for October and November in the amount of your monthly pension. and soon after our cases are ajudicted we will see the permanent increase. I'm so happy because I'm in college and moved to a new city to attend and my rent doubled. I need the extra grand every month!

SITREP
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sailor964 on Thu 11 Oct 2012, 21:23

i did
sailor964
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by SITREP on Thu 11 Oct 2012, 21:25

That's awesome sailor!

SITREP
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pteadams2002 on Thu 11 Oct 2012, 22:01

Sitrep; I'm still paying for my college program. It took over 2 years to get some of the reimbursements from VocEast and I had to take out a student loan. I paid for supplies, gas, books, etc on my credit card and it took over a year to see any funding for my rehab program...Hope you have a easier time of it then what I went through.
pteadams2002
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2012-08-04

http://pteadams2002@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by grosgig on Thu 11 Oct 2012, 22:27

I received mine yesterday and they put the new calculation sheet with it. I'm sure you will receive yours very soon.

Grosgig (vandoos)

grosgig
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2012-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by SITREP on Thu 11 Oct 2012, 22:38

pteadams I'm not sure of your specific case of course. I'm not sure how to help you except to say contact the ombudsman. I wish there was something I could say or do.

I have not had any resistance or negative responses from VAC about my rehab program. I told them my plan. They agreed to it. And they paid for it.

It should be the same standard across the board for all of us. I also have a wonderful area councillor who I have been working with for 8 years who has been instrumental in my recovery.

Maybe you could ask for a new area councillor. One that will go to bat for you.

Good luck and soldier on. Don't let the system beat you.

SITREP
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SITREP on Thu 11 Oct 2012, 22:47

That's great Grosgig! I'm happy to see that people are getting their notifications!

SITREP
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by VetWife on Thu 11 Oct 2012, 22:53

i need to undestand this, my husband was denied ELB in june 2012 as is income in excess, he is however getting the PIA and the supplement as well as VAC pension. We asked SISSIP to stop paying back in 2006 because when he released it took so long with for VAC to get his disability applications in order and every time we turned around they were sending us letters telling us he was in overpayment and he couldn;t handle that stress so we lived on my earnings plus his army pension and credit. My husband is the old pension rules for approx 80% and rec'd a paltry lump sum for the other 20%. under the new veterans charter. Do you think the fact that we asked SISIP to stop paying because we kept getting little bits here and there from VAC will affect any of this?

VetWife
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2012-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 11 Oct 2012, 23:00

You need to talk to sisip , but your husband was not zero sum, so his payments wont start, actually you better contact sisip and see what they have in his file and what was done. He was denied ELB because of his income, what income, employment income, or VAC pension because the clawback of VAC pension has stopped . Sometimes VAc does not give the correct info for ELB, You first have to apply for the REHAB program, once in Rehab, you apply for ELB, if you are declared tpi , then you get EELB which is to 65. You need to start calling and checking out this info and dont always accept what they say

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top