Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

One phone call, 600 Veterans, fourteen million dollars

View previous topic View next topic Go down

One phone call, 600 Veterans, fourteen million dollars

Post by Teentitan on Tue 06 Nov 2012, 11:54

Ottawa - November 2, 2012

Veterans of the Canadian Forces and the RCMP spend their careers serving others. So much so, that putting their own needs aside to be of service to others can become second nature. This is a mindset that can be difficult to change when they hand in their uniform.

My team and I see this often. We hear many stories about Veterans who are in difficult situations or who could use our help. A friend or family member might call us about a loved one who has become discouraged and abandoned an application, or who feels that their complaint or injury is “not that bad”, so they don’t want to “bother” the Office.

But a journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step, and the journey to fairness for all Veterans begins with one phone call. My team, made up of many former members of the Canadian Forces and the RCMP, as well as experienced public servants, are there to assist Veterans, no matter how significant the client may think their personal matter is. Every phone call or email we receive enables my team to help Veterans.

While there may be some cases that we are not able to resolve immediately, that doesn’t mean that positive change can’t come from them. The information gathered from individual calls and complaints enables my team to identify trends. We are then empowered with the facts we need to encourage Veterans Affairs Canada to change unfair policies and processes, thereby improving the circumstances of many Veterans at once.

In our last annual report, we highlighted the case of a Veteran who called the Office about his eligibility for the Exceptional Incapacity Allowance. This allowance of up to $1,348.57 a month is provided to pensioners who are exceptionally incapacitated. My Office contacted Veterans Affairs Canada to discuss the case and found that half of the 1,800 Veterans who were potentially eligible for the Allowance had not been informed. The Department quickly corrected the situation by sending a letter to those Veterans. As a result, close to 600 Veterans were found to be eligible and received retroactive payments totalling $14 million.

I strongly encourage all Veterans and other clients of Veterans Affairs Canada who are facing difficulties or who have faced challenges in the past to contact the Office, even if they feel that your complaint may be insignificant. One call can make a difference; one small action can lead to big change for all.

Complaints can be submitted by telephone, mail or fax using the information found here http://www.ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca/complaint-plainte-eng.cfm

http://www.ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca/blog-blogue/post-eng.cfm?178
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3293
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top